• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

12 foot long shallow reef build

In other news, looks like I have my first algae growing. On the glass and rocks

Too bad I have no cuc

c136bfe59f2f53ae442d3c93891f31d4.jpg

3720afda1e02defa19a7271b86e79fc7.jpg
aa96fda46599b306a3f7e4dabec8da11.jpg
454e1cc403014d34c405d68bf4780742.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish seem fine. The sohal is still chasing the sailfin. [emoji55]

I haven't see the marine Jetta come out to eat yet. I may need to find a way to get him food directly...

But really the tank mates seem happy and all are eating.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
This is poor advice ....you read it as so long as I add three fish every three days until I hit that 40 spot I am fine.
Your tank is going to slowly evolve. Yes this works to some degree but man it is driving me crazy. You went from brand new to heavily stocked using this rule. Your tank hasn't even cycled completely yet and this "consultant" is giving you the go ahead to keep adding fish willy nilly.

Agree with @JRWOHLER that is too quick to be adding fish. You need to allow your tank to adjust to the bioload.

In other news, looks like I have my first algae growing. On the glass and rocks

Too bad I have no cuc

c136bfe59f2f53ae442d3c93891f31d4.jpg

3720afda1e02defa19a7271b86e79fc7.jpg
aa96fda46599b306a3f7e4dabec8da11.jpg
454e1cc403014d34c405d68bf4780742.jpg

This stage happens to everyone. Seeing how you have no CUC you need to figure other ways to fight the alge. Might need to adjust your flow to help.

There are only a handful of other fish I want.

Dwarf lion
Some sort of small reef friendly eel
Hippo tang
Achilles tang
Flame angel
Goby/ shrimp combo
A reef friendly trigger
Bicolor angel
A group of purple tangs

A few smaller fish

Maybe one or two other angels- something with color

I was told I can hold 40-50 fish. Thoughts?

Honestly the list above is not a handful of other fish, and they are not fish that can survive together. Everyone on the site are great people that want you to succeed. However, probably every one of them is ripping out their hair and cursing at their monitors reading this thread, but are too polite to get too direct. Most likely because you are new to the site and do not want to scare you off, because we are first and foremost here to help. With that said, you really need to take a serious break from adding fish to this tank, and should establish your priorities for the tank with a sensible plan. There are some easy to locate fish compatibility charts out there, that cover fish to fish, fish to invert, and fish to coral compatibility. This hobby is expensive and difficult even when you do ample research in advance. It becomes infinitely more expensive and difficult when you charge ahead without taking a breathe. When you stock a tank, you are not just stocking the tank based on the fish's current size, but based on how large the fish will get. Please keep in mind, everyone's advice is to try to prevent the headache and heartache that we all see coming. Your tank is in its infancy, and really needs months to mature. In the end, we all understand it is your tank, and you will do what you want. However, we also have a level of obligation to provide sound guidance regardless. Please consider taking a serious break from adding any more bio load to the tank.

I have managed to NOT buy any new fish!

The aggression between the Sohal and Sailfin has ended. I also have not done a water change and the parameters are steady.

The Marine Betta still hasn't shown its face during feeding. Any thoughts on how to best get hime food? The Rabbit fish is also not eating much. It does eat, just not as much or as aggressively as the other fish. Thoughts?

Rob

I have managed to NOT buy any new fish!

The aggression between the Sohal and Sailfin has ended. I also have not done a water change and the parameters are steady.

The Marine Betta still hasn't shown its face during feeding. Any thoughts on how to best get hime food? The Rabbit fish is also not eating much. It does eat, just not as much or as aggressively as the other fish. Thoughts?

Rob

Glad to hear the aggression ended. I have never owned either a rabbit fish or Marine beta ....so no direct experience. What are you feeding the rabbit fish? My marine fish book says they are not typically finicky eaters...suggests sheets of dried algae, frozen spinach that has been thawed, broccoli, and spirulina flake or frozen food. It also says to watch for color change in the fish...which is a sign that something is wrong...but not necessarily fatal. May just be that it is not yet at ease. Nothing on marine beta in the book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought Id post up my test results.

I test ammonia across three test variations. the API test consistently results in no color change. The test color values however start at above 0.25, so maybe that why? Though in some cases both the other two tests provide tests results above 0.25 the same time the API test does not indicate a result above 0.25. Maybe its the test?

On occasion my two Nitrate tests are not correlated.

*In some cases like Phosphate and Alkalinity, I have not tested every day so please disregard the 0 as true values.

**Copper shows a dip the day after a water change.

What are your thoughts on the Tanks cycle? Ammonia and nitrates dropped the days before I added the copper and removed the critters, perhaps the levels increasing is a result of the bio load shift and reduction to beneficial bacteria as a result of the copper?

Phosphate have a sharp increase - is this good or bad?Copper.png Phosphate.png Alk.png PH.png Nitrate.png Nitrite.png Ammonia.png Salinity 2 12 2017.png Copper.png Phosphate.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Your traces of ammonia and nitrate concerns me. Having traces of those elements are bad for your fish. Your copper would drop with a water change (as you pull copper out with the old water but not putting it back).

Have you tested your new water (before putting it in your tank) for ammonia and nitrate? Are you using RO/Di water or tap water?

Your traces of ammonia and nitrate concerns me. Having traces of those elements are bad for your fish. Your copper would drop with a water change (as you pull copper out with the old water but not putting it back).

Have you tested your new water (before putting it in your tank) for ammonia and nitrate? Are you using RO/Di water or tap water?

I haven't tested the new water before it goes in. I will.

I do used BRS ultimate 150 ro/di setup.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I'm assuming your ammonia and nitrate in your next mix water are 0 cause you are using RO/Di water.

Make sure your TDS are reading 0. Also what type of salt are you using? Are you treating your new water with anything before putting it in your tank?

I'm assuming your ammonia and nitrate in your next mix water are 0 cause you are using RO/Di water.

Make sure your TDS are reading 0. Also what type of salt are you using? Are you treating your new water with anything before putting it in your tank?

TDS- Ok

Type of Salt - Ive used a few brands over last few weeks. Right now I have a box from ACC.

Treating the water, no im not adding anything additional.