• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2018-01-09 Fact of the week - Bubble Algae.

Do you have bubble algae?

• Not anymore.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Never had it.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I have shiny Green Bubble Algae

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I have red bubble algae.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • My bubble algae is more milky in appearance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My bubble algae is more like skinny tubes.

• I don't know. Do they make bubble gum from it?

• Total voters
Bubble algae is one of those aquarium pests that can actually be quite attractive in small quantities. Control of bubble algae usually starts with preventing it from being introduced in the first place. Once introduced, many people remove what they can by hand, using a baster to try and suck up loose bubble. Often this doesn’t work too well and they end up growing on power heads. Popping the bubbles just introduces spores. Since this algae usually starts in holes or cracks, you are really removing the newest growth. I had both red and green bubble algae. They showed up long after I introduced corals. A quarantine tank may help. Mithrix crabs (emerald crabs) are known to eat it. But they may not be successful in many aquariums due to the fish that are kept. Keeping phosphates low is another method to reduce the severity of the problem. Phosban, water changes, reduced feeding, protein skimmers, refugiums and RODI water are practices that reduce the problem, but not eliminate it as bubble algae can grow in fairly low nutrient systems. If you want to reduce bubble algae in your tank, check online for removal techniques.

When I saw a similar photo by Eric in the Photo of the Month contest, I didn't realize the bubble algae was growing on clams.
bubbleclam.jpg
Sometimes it can get very shiny or grow on powerheads like in this photo.
4100210875_340b276d1d_z.jpg
There are many types of bubble algae such as this red type.
bubblealgae2.jpg

bubble algae - Bing video