• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

5G Nano

My little cousins (turning 6 and 8 years old) love my tank and their birthdays are coming up in a few weeks. I decided that I would love to set them up with a 5G that has an asterina starfish and a sexy shrimp with lots of macroalgae or a 10G with some durable corals like kenya trees and mushrooms stocked with an asterina and a pair of sexy shrimp.
As far as the 5G goes, are there any species of macroalgae that would grow from window light? If not I will just give them the 10G with LED light so it can grow some macroalgae and softies. Though their mother would prefer the slightly smaller tank, she won't be mad over the 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they happen quick and with out much warning

I am going to use all established rock from my tank so they don't have to worry about cycling or anything. I do live about 5 minutes away so if something does happen I can swing by and help out. I would prefer to do the 10G but my aunt would like the smaller one. My other option is to get a 2.5 gallon and only put in the big asterina star

Well I'd do the 5 with a small power filter or bubbler to provide circulation with on of those China led bulbs in a desk lamp .. that way the the tank is in a natural set it and forget it state.. also keep in mind rock from an established tank does help speed the cycling process but does not eliminate it .. sand bed and water also cycle

Not to deter but maybe a small fresh water tank with a few fresh water shrimp and mollies may be a good start so they can learn the basics. Then go for salt water. that tank will also see swings with evaporation make sure there is some kind of a to on it if you go witth salt.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Not to deter but maybe a small fresh water tank with a few fresh water shrimp and mollies may be a good start so they can learn the basics. Then go for salt water. that tank will also see swings with evaporation make sure there is some kind of a to on it if you go witth salt.
@Tyler i was thinking the same on this...5gal will be tough unless you're dedicated to monitoring it.

Ok so I'm thinking maybe just the asterina since they're virtually bulletproof lol. Thanks for the thoughts guys. My aunt said their son may be too excited with it and try and feed it/mess with it all the time so it may be a no go

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Tyler depending how much you want to put into support. My kids love my tank so I did a 10g tank in their bed room. They knew not to touch the tank and only feed after asking me. Tank ran well until we moved but I did weekly water changes and what not. You can get a cheap starter 10g tank and make it simple (like a fire fish or something). Handle doing weekly water changes (you said your only 5min away so it should be too big of a deal) and let them help

@Tyler depending how much you want to put into support. My kids love my tank so I did a 10g tank in their bed room. They knew not to touch the tank and only feed after asking me. Tank ran well until we moved but I did weekly water changes and what not. You can get a cheap starter 10g tank and make it simple (like a fire fish or something). Handle doing weekly water changes (you said your only 5min away so it should be too big of a deal) and let them help

I have to go fishless, my aunt doesn't want one, not sure why. But she said a starfish or crab would be fine lol. I have an extra 10g and set of lights laying around so I was either going to make a QT for myself or a little tank for them. I will definitely teach them how important it is not to feed unless they ask mom or dad first and that they cant put their hands in the tank. I will handle the water changes for a while, though honestly I think the older sister is mature enough to handle it but I definitely would want to practice with her a few times first. I like your thinking, having them help me when I do maintence is probably a great way to teach them without jeopardizing the lives of any animals in the process

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I have to go fishless, my aunt doesn't want one, not sure why. But she said a starfish or crab would be fine lol. I have an extra 10g and set of lights laying around so I was either going to make a QT for myself or a little tank for them. I will definitely teach them how important it is not to feed unless they ask mom or dad first and that they cant put their hands in the tank. I will handle the water changes for a while, though honestly I think the older sister is mature enough to handle it but I definitely would want to practice with her a few times first. I like your thinking, having them help me when I do maintenance is probably a great way to teach them without jeopardizing the lives of any animals in the process

i still think it may not be worth the effort....just setting up the tank may be a headache....

Fresh water will be that gateway drug that can get them to look into Saltwater.
you could go planted and just have some inverts as an example, something like this maybe (from the internet)
upload_2017-8-1_15-30-55.jpeg

i still think it may not be worth the effort....just setting up the tank may be a headache....

Fresh water will be that gateway drug that can get them to look into Saltwater.
you could go planted and just have some inverts as an example, something like this maybe (from the internet)
View attachment 16570

Its a great idea and personally something I would do for myself. But with my past planted experience I would not put that upon someone not able to work on it at least 10 minutes a day. Dosing carbon, setting up CO2, makes it a bit more than I wanted to do.
I still am not 100% sure if I will be doing a tank for them but if I do I want to go as easy and simple as possible and I can't even do a tank with like 1 fish because they aren't allowed fish. If they were I would give them the 20 long I have and make a simple freshwater tank for them using the many spare items I have laying around from the days before I started my saltwater

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
When you decide to hand over the responsibility of the tank to the 8 year old (in a few months) will your aunt want to travel to get saltwater from aac or tropiquarium? I know as a mom of 6 (the 3 older ones can take care of themselves) I have a lot to do. She may not want to deal with saltwater tank. A freshwater tank would be much easier to handle. You may find the at 6 and 8 year olds will get bored easily with a tank or toy.

When you decide to hand over the responsibility of the tank to the 8 year old (in a few months) will your aunt want to travel to get saltwater from aac or tropiquarium? I know as a mom of 6 (the 3 older ones can take care of themselves) I have a lot to do. She may not want to deal with saltwater tank. A freshwater tank would be much easier to handle. You may find the at 6 and 8 year olds will get bored easily with a tank or toy.

I agree with the boredom part, thats definitely something that worries me. I don't want them to suddenly stop caring so honestly if they no longer want it I can take it back and keep it in my room. I just don't know what to do if I go the freshwater route. I don't want to keep shrimp without plants but also don't want to make them worry about dosing stuff so the plants grow. The only thing that came to my mind was an asterina star just because most people cant kill them if they try lol

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
they have plants like bamboo, java ferns and some swords that are virtually maintenance free (i keep some in a 3gal betta tank and i barely change the water on that thing)

I think all of us on this thread are jist trying to steer you towards a maintenance free route.like freshwater....but in any case, if you really wanna do it, god's speed my friend....just post up pix

Last edited: