• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

60g cube build

Well a hell of a night last night. While doing some maintenance on the tank. I started to clean my AI Hydra 52. And guess what happens , it falls into my tank. As soon as it falls I scream #*#**#*#*<*#* I unplug it asap, before sticking my hand in the tank to take the light out. I was lucked that as it fell the power supply unplugged itself as it fell into the tank. So I take the light out and it's pouring water out , like taking a submerged car out of the water. So I quickly run to my man cave with the light in hand. ( funny sight to see me run cause I'm not a runner or a sprinter). So I quickly take the light apart and grab my air compressor hose put the blower attachment and blow it dry. Now I'm pissed cause now in my head I know I have to buy a new light now. ( great now I have to explain to my wife that I have to spend another $400-$500 on another light ) I wait about 20 mins after blowing it dry. Plug it in and BAMM. It turns on. YAY [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Apparently when I got my light I never tightened the hanging kit screws tight. So while cleaning the light it just fell off the light. Lesson learning don't rush when putting things together.

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@jose7878 you luck out that the power pulled on it before hitting the water or that could had been bad. Now because we deal with saltwater you might want to take that light apart again and make sure its nice clean/dry because the salt could eat at the wires. You could also dump it in a bag (or bucket) of rice (yes just like a cell phone) to help pull water/salt out.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We should have a forum just for DOH! moments. I know I could easily add to it.....may times over.

Glad to see the light has worked out (for the time being), but I'd also consider opening it back up and wiping/cleaning it with something like WD40. Otherwise the residual salt will cause for premature death of that light.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
We should have a forum just for DOH! moments. I know I could easily add to it.....may times over.

Glad to see the light has worked out (for the time being), but I'd also consider opening it back up and wiping/cleaning it with something like WD40. Otherwise the residual salt will cause for premature death of that light.

Paul I think almost any of us could fill a forum like that. I know I have many (just like my sump issue) of those DOH moments.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor

Paul we now how that DOH forum - Aquarium Keeper Screw Ups

Agree with above. I would take it apart again and rinse/wipe it with rodi to get all the salt off otherwise you are sure to have issues in the future. Good luck!!

@jose7878 you luck out that the power pulled on it before hitting the water or that could had been bad. Now because we deal with saltwater you might want to take that light apart again and make sure its nice clean/dry because the salt could eat at the wires. You could also dump it in a bag (or bucket) of rice (yes just like a cell phone) to help pull water/salt out.

Thanks everyone , for the suggestion of wiping everything down with to remove any of the salt residue that might linger in there. I will do that tonight after lights out.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Jose,

Similar (about identical) problem here.
Waterlogged, dried it out, it worked for a bit....
then blew weeks later after a few intermittent failures.
I SHOULD HAVE opened the unit and rinsed with fresh water or alcohol, then blown it dry and let it sit for a few days.
The salt residue and moisture (which is always there) will eventually eat the solder.
About 2 weeks after my incident my hydra was on and off intermittently, then it failed. I opened it to find greenish brown liquid/sludge, which was what was left of the solder and joins after the salt and moisture had worked on it.

I'd advise opening the unit, doing a rodi or alcohol wash, drying thoroughly, and then reconnecting after a few days.

Barring that, when my unit did go, I contacted AI and they offered me a decent price to repair the unit and upgrade it to a HD at about half the price of a new HD unit.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Jose,

Similar (about identical) problem here.
Waterlogged, dried it out, it worked for a bit....
then blew a week later after a few intermittent failures.
I SHOULD HAVE opened the unit and rinsed with fresh water or alcohol, then blown it dry and let it sit for a few days.
The salt residue and moisture (which is always there) will eventually eat the solder.
About 2 weeks after my incident my hydra was on and off intermittently, then it failed. I opened it to find greenish brown liquid/sludge, which was what was left of the solder and joins after the salt and moisture had worked on it.

I'd advise opening the unit, doing a rodi or alcohol wash, drying thoroughly, and then reconnecting after a few days.

Barring that, when my unit did go, I contacted AI and they offered me a decent price to repair the unit and upgrade it to a HD at about half the price of a new HD unit.

Best of luck.

Thanks Mark.

Just added another prize frag Walt Disney directly from Mike Bigger. I so in love with my tank again.
62690ea4e322cf1419919b136861d759.jpg

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Smh. I lost my WD. But all of my other corals are still doing well. Looks like i gave it to much light and ended up bleaching it. Now time to save again and learn from my mistake.

You think? That is not even a 1/2 inch frag. What says it was healed? What says it was healthy? Sorry, but the hype around some of the acros in this hobby right now is just against the hobby. The pic that @redfishbluefish just posed is selling for $1500. I mean really? What says it will last 15 days?