• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anthias starving?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Anthias in tank for 1 year+ and eating anything available.
About 7-10 days ago, as far as I can tell, it just stopped eating.
Did the normal food for a few days and observed. It would come out at feeding time, but just not participate.
Pellet, flake, frozen and live blackworms, fresh clam, fresh and frozen brine, sometimes food soaked in garlic. Nothing on any fronts.
Anyone have any other ideas or tricks? Don't think it has much more time if it doesn't start eating in next couple of days.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Just an ordinary bicolor anthias. No recent introductions, not really bullied out of the ordinary.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Nope, checked voltage a month or so ago, all within normal limits.
Temp had raised a bit over past 2 days when I turned the fans off (expecting it to be cooler out) and hit 79-80, but fans back on this morning and back down to 76-77. Tank was stable when problem began.
Water parameters good. 5-10% water change every 4-5 days. All other fish doing great.
I'm stumped. I'm wondering if it swallowed something and its esophagus is blocked.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure but i know a lot of anthias prefer groups, could there be a possibility he reached maturity, and, for lack of a better word, is bummed that there are no mates? Just a guess as i've never had them but i was always told accept for a few certain ones that they are better in groups.