• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any Travel Agents on here by chance?

horseplay

NJRC Member
No need for agent. Europe can be easily diy. I have been to Europe quite a few times, large cities and small towns. Really depend on what you interested in there are many options. Our latest trip was to Portugal. 9 days central and northern. Really a fantastic trip. Feel free to pm me I will be glad to help.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
would you recommend Portugal? any other places worth visiting? my wife has been abroad to various place....but me ive never left the US (except for puerto rico which doesn't count)

horseplay

NJRC Member
It really depends what you like, arts and history, nature, food and wine and beer? For first time Rome and the surrounding area is a great destination. Not very expensive and offer so many things. There is a PBS TV show called Rick steves Europe that's available on YouTube. We watched almost all the episodes really heplful. I do think you will be disappointed anywhere you go. Ask the wife too. Happy wife happy life.

Europe is great, it all depends on how long you plan on going. There are some great deals like Groupon and TravelZoo. If you are going for one week then pick a single country if you are going two then you might get in three if you are selective. Alternatively if you are willing to travel light/cheap you could start in London and take Ryan Air/Easy Jet/Darwin Air and bounce around. My wife used to meet me in London from Italy cost her like 12 dollars each way.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
would like to do something not necessarily cheap, but not high end either. We both have bounced around the London idea and are leaning more towards that

London is cheap to get to so you can start there then fly to second country pretty easy after. Now with Brexit it may not be as easy not really sure of the implications. Just my opinion London is most like visiting NYC. Sort of different idea but Montreal is supposed to be great...is on my list of places to go.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
i actually mentioned Canada to my wife.....and she gave me that "stank face" ....either way we are shooting for something around October to celebrate our anniversary ....so we'll c

horseplay

NJRC Member
Paris will be great for celebrating anniversaries. You can spend the whole week there. October is great time to go. My wife and I are going to southern Spain in October.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
would you recommend Portugal? any other places worth visiting? my wife has been abroad to various place....but me ive never left the US (except for puerto rico which doesn't count)

51st State lol

I have been to Germany for work twice- I liked it alot. Would love to see Austria as well.

Also went to London. I really liked the place they don't speak English because then it feels like an adventure (and then if you are lost everyone under 30 speaks English anyway lol)

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i actually mentioned Canada to my wife.....and she gave me that "stank face" ....either way we are shooting for something around October to celebrate our anniversary ....so we'll c

if only one of those European countries celebrate October maybe like a fest or something....... let me think

I'd really recommend Malta, marmaris turkey, and hifa Isreal I went to those place when I was in the Navy they were all awesome malta is like spring break of the Mediterranean beautiful historic country plenty of stuff to do awesome night life, turkey was fun lots to see and lots to buy cheap people were very hospitable and lastly Isreal which ain't for everyone but was a beautiful country depending on what side of the wall your on Jerusalem was beautiful if you have a some what Christian or catholic back ground I'd say it worth seeing at least once in a life time

On a side note Canada is nice too visit Niagara on the east cost but stay in area not touristy or they will kill you on the price and taxes also a word of advice where ever you go use there currency as not to get scammed on the conversion as a seasoned traveler I always pack spending money and my first stop is always the bank or nearest currency exchange .. if your doing Europe it's mostly the euro now so you should be fine with that as a standard but keep an app on your phone and watch the exchange rate.. also always know we're your embassy is and the phone number to it. If something happens that's your safe zone travel with your passport it's about the only solid proof that you can provide that your a us citizen and always check the country's climate meaning state of security hostile calm expectant on alert you get the point but believe me last thing you want is to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when some isis jerk wad wants to make a show.