• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

APTASIA, MOJAMO, PEST killer....Eric Borneman's recipe

Here's Eric Borneman's recipe for NaOH (sodium hydroxide, or in lay terms, lye) mixed with kalk:

APTASIA REMEDY

Red Devil lye (Draino???) is the brand name. Drain cleaner and 100% sodium hydroxide. But...here's the good part. Dissociates completely in water into Na and OH-. Nothing changes but pH, and the pH since it coagulates with the calcium hydroxide remains a very local pH effect and you'd have to add a lot to a really small tank to see a pH effect because of its behavor in the presence of other cations in seawater.

Here's the recipe. Get a capped bottle - like a spice jar...around 100ml or less. Add a heaping tablespoon of lye and dissolve in distilled water, and then a heaping tablespoon of kalkwasser. Use a transfer pipette or a transfer syringe or a syringe with a large bore needle to just slowly drip a little on the anemone. It will turn into mush along with anything else organic it contacts. Turn off all water cirulation as it will take about an hour to ensure everything is dissolved.. Also, by this point, the residual mixture is no longer nearly as caustic since it has equilibrated with seawater..the anemone dissolution and its contact with seawater has already made it safe once you turn the flow back on. It contacts the anemones easily just like Joe's juice, the difference of course being that it actually works well.

Two warnings: lye is extremely caustic and be careful when making the solution...lye boils if added to water...always add water to lye slowly and stir with a non metal object and watch your hands and eyes until dissolved. The container will get hot. Then the kalkwasser. Stir the mixture well before each use...you can do this by simply syringing in and out of the container before sucking up a batch. Second warning - even in solution this stuff will burn you - so wear gloves or be careful.
BY: ERIC BORNEMAN

Red Devil Lye is not marketed any longer. If you Google lye or NaOH or Sodium Hydroxide, you'll get suppliers that will sell it. I bought mine on ebay. Type in NaOH, soap, or lye.
FYI: Sodium hydroxide in water? Keep it closed and it will last forever. Sodium hydroxide and Kalk in water? Carbon dioxide entering it is more of a problem because of the KALK, so keeping air out is more important.
Have fun and wear your safety goggles and gloves. I hope this article gets to be a "sticky"! ;D RENEE

Very interesting recipe. You actually regenerate the Kati Ani with Sodium Hydroxide and Muriatic Acid. Both these strong chemicals do break down in salt water to safe components, so he is correct that after natural dilution, there are no lingering side effects.

I sell a food grade (actually Kosher approved) Sodium Hydroxide powder used to regenerate the Kati Ani. The smallest size I sell is a two pound bottle, but it may be easier than buying on line.

My first inclination was to bring a bottle to a meeting and everyone could take a little. My concern is this stuff is very caustic and I would rather not be involved (liability) with portioning it out to everyone and their little bottles.

I bought 2 lbs online, it was around 8 dollars shipped. Whoever wants a bit, give me a pm, I will surely give you some. I have enough for my lifetime.

N

njstillwell

I've used Joe's juice and it has worked great. Just turn off power heads while using it this stuff works instantly no mess no fuss of mixing chemicals truly a good product

Hi I have lots of the apitsia's aHHHHHHHHHHHH..LOL
So should i order this one ??

2 lb Red Hot Devil Lye Sodium Hydroxide Naoh Biodiesel
Item number: 260376530489

Thanks

janey

For Bryopsis try raising your magnesium level to above 1350....Some users on MR and RC have reported success using Tech M Magnesium supplement.....

I had a small bryopsis which went away naturally...

Also had a small aiptasia problem that was solved with two peppermint shrimp.......

Tried kalk paste and it didn't work for me...

Good luck to those who use this recipe and hope that it works....please report back with your experience...

Has anyone tried GARF's method?

Prepare stock solution

1. 1 tsp. pickling lime - food grade calcium hydroxide
2. 2 tbls. tap water.

boil water and lime in microwave for 40 sec.
keep closed plastic container in cool place.
You will need a vet syringe from a pet store that sells vaccinations

This mixture comes out of the needle very thick. You do not need to inject the Aiptasia.
Just release a small amount on to the aiptasia and it will take it in. This mixture seems to stick to the
anemone, but it does not stick to the other inverts. We also use this mixture on problem hair algae.

We have killed 20 or 30 at a time in 55 gallon reefs and it did not hurt anything

supposedly they do. from what i hear they more or less nibble on it. i used joes juice, covered the discs on them ( were about 10 of them) and killed em all, no more popped up. that was 5 months ago at least