• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aqua Oceans (Tom's River) (+)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Small shop in Ocean County. I bought my first big tank there (65g reefer).
Can't recall the owners name and neglected to ask today, but a small operation.
A number of USED tanks at great pricing. If looking for a used in Ocean (or nearby) counties, its more than worthwhile to call to see what's in shop. I saw a half dozen tanks that I would have loaded up had my wife not been in the car.

So, small operation. Limited selection of fish and coral, but gear is nice.

But the livestock I saw there was high quality, seemed free of any disease, and there were some beautiful fish (they're heavy on clowns).
Prices are rock bottom, probably a few bucks above wholesale.
There were a number of snowflake clowns at $30-40 I would have walked away with had I the space.
There were a few fantastic Picasso for $50 and under, one of which I would have bought a tank for, again, had wife not been in car.

I was debating going home and dropping the wife and kids off, then heading back.

Coral wise, guess its a hit or miss (I hit :) )
There are a few coral tanks, though it is hard to view some of the stock due to coraline on the tanks (including the fronts).
There were a few trumpets, a few gorgonians, nothing spectacular on the SPS.
The owner told me the stock rotated regularly and he just sold a number of pieces yesterday, which I believe due to his pricing.
When I explained I was running a higher end zoa tank he showed me a 6 headed Pineapple Express. Price? $25. Sold.

So, bought my first big tank here at a great price.
Bought a rarer 6 headed frag here (large) at a great price.
Think I bought a used titanium heater with controller here a couple years back due to price.
Its hit or miss.
Call them if your looking for something, the 'hits' go quick.

No sales pressure, just chat.

When I asked if I could write up on the reefers, I was told it was fine to take a few shots.

BTW, for you FOWLR folks...
It was also mentioned that due to a deal with 'Nature's Image', there was a ton of stock of artificial, but quite convincing corals to be sold below wholesale. They look pretty good.

So, overall good place to go. Small, casual, no huge selection, great pricing, great used equipment, custom work, etc...

To the pics...

JNtl2hx.jpg

kBnrRND.jpg

For FOWLR...
eEulpzv.jpg

My score today, a 6 headed Pineapple Express for $25 :) :) :) ...
4JqSkDz.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Krus,
Give them a call. When I was there this week there seemed to be a few large used tanks.

Oh, and pics should be OK now.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Great store, have gotten fish from them in the past. Call ahead because their hours are a little different than other places. He used to post when new stock was coming in on the website and you wanted to be there when it came in because if would go quickly.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Well, went back and picked up a Gladiator Clown, perfect color, medium large 2", for $40.
Steve's fish are all A grade, was debating between the Glad and a Snowflake, but the Glad won out by a thin margin as I love her port side pattern.

IMG_5547_zpsg8fzxpff.jpg

(frags top to bottom: Sunny D, Pineapples, Fruit loops, Jawbreaker)

In the front on this one...
IMG_5551_zpsudnuxiay.jpg

(frags top to bottom: Rastas, Candy apples, Utter chaos, Bluebrerries)

Also, Steve was kind enough to give me a generous sample of a food he's carrying, Sustainable Aquatics Dry Hatchery Diet, 1.2mm slow sinking pellets. Everything in tank is going crazy for them. Definitely on my next food purchase list.

Last edited:

Bad Fish

Officer Emeritus
oh wow! I got excited as i read this thread for the first time.
I love Steve he is a character and has been very influential in my love of the hobby. I drove by the store a couple weeks ago and it was still open but during the summer he had posted how everything was for sale. Only way to know is to go in. He always has nice fish or he won't sell it to you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I did a search and came up with a fb page....No recent posts

Aqua Oceans
September 24 ·

Store tentatively closing Sat. Nov. 4th. We will continue to be open during normal store hours until further notice and we will continue to stock fresh RO/saltwater, frozen foods, supplies, chemipure, poly filter, code A & B, etc! We're open until 5pm today.

Aqua Oceans
September 23 ·

Going out of business sale - everything must go! All store display tanks, fish racks, sumps, refugiums, glass showcases, aquarium equipment, water storage tubs (300g to 350g; used for RO/saltwater production), pond display tanks, etc. We also have a large selection of pre-owned aquariums from 20g to 90g that are priced to move. Stop in or give us a call today!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Damn. I live 5 mins away from there and have not had time to check them out.
Guess I won't be able to now.