• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquarium Depot (online) (-)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, these guys/gals have changed names.
I've bought pod/amphipod coral packages from them and been very happy with the purchase of the pods. Think was softies and 1 gorgon purchased from them. No survivors with the exception of green zoas.
They should go pod only imho.

I Know a lot of you guys are very anti Aquarium Depot due to coral, BUT every pod order I've made from them has exceeded expectations in quantity and size. Never seemed to have any concern with them in tanks ranging from 25 to 110.

My experience only, please share opinions.

EDIT:
See post 3

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Dropped a line tonight, told them corals bad/pods excellent (personal experience), we'd like to deal with pods. Awaiting reponse.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, I reached out to AD and received a response from Christina Duncan, who seems to be the owner.
Seems she lost the 'Reefs' name due to the e-commerce company they were working with going bankrupt, her domain name being lost, and she's been fighting to get it back.
It apparently had nothing to do with bad press.
She also seems frustrated at the negative press and has reached out to explain.
I'm editing a few of her responses from our recent mails...

I have sent you a response regarding the name change — that was not a change to avoid negative press – I am still trying to get my domain back!! I had to change to a new domain or close my doors. I have had 2 attorneys working various strategies to regain the domain for over a year – But the ecommerce company is now closed and has filed bankruptcy.

Please allow me to address the issue with Name Change – we have actually only changed our name once – here is why. Reefs2go was our former company. We changed the name to AquariumDepot after the ecommerce company (Zoovy) refused to release the domain, despite the fact that I, Christina Duncan listed as the owner of Reef2go on the whois registry for Reefs2go.

Reefs2go.com started using Zoovy for ecommece provider in November 2007. If you read the below documentation – which is presently being used in litigation with my 2 attorneys against Zoovy.com, you can then see a correlation of dates and a rise in incident with the BBB surrounding the increase in incidents with Zoovy.
Mark's note: Christina did provide legal documents regarding above.

Also – since our departure from Zoovy.com as Reefs2go.com and our new start with BigCommerce as AquariumDepot.com – we have had 1 BBB complaint – which was from an issue in 2013 when we known as Reefs2go.

The ability for AquariumDepot to focus on our animals and customers has been revolutionized since we are now with BigCommerce, an ecommerce provider that has provided 100% up time without ANY failures since we migrated to them on October 6,2015 – almost 1 year ago. While, I would never be so brazen to say we are without issue 100% of the time on all fronts, the devastation caused by Zoovy over the 8 years caused significant fallout

I really appreciate the opportunity to fix this for you guys.

As far as the “deal” – We offer free shipping to orders over 100.00 already.
We also have a nice way to combine the orders – basically – they can just add to the notes – “Shipping with NJRC order” in the notesof their order and select the combination shipping (will charge them $0.00 for shipping) – we will automatically combine the orders to the main order so no one has to collect payment – and order can come from multiple people, addresses and payments without it compromising the group order.
Let me give some thought to an incentive we can offer.

Though I've had some negative experience with the softies, they were cheap add ons and I wasn't really worried about them as the draw for me was the pods.
Perhaps a few bad orders followed by a name change (not their fault) generated a few negative stories which grew out of control?

Regardless, Christina seems a bit frustrated, as any business owner would be in that position, and is happy to help restore faith.

I'm happy to give it a go.

Edit: Just bouncing around the site. Check out some of the recent reviews folks. Most are 4 stars and better.
I'm dropping an order today with zoas in there (Pods, BamBams, and Candy apples, plus some inverts).
I will ask Christina to hold shipping to the 1st of May so anyone who wants to add to the order (to their own address and account, no shipping, just note 'NJRC member in checkout' (I think)) should...
GET ORDER IN BY APRIL 30 AS I'VE REQUESTED A MAY 1 SHIP DATE!
NOTE 'COMBINED ORDER' and state "Combine with NJRC order'

I've dropped a link of this forum to Christina so she can read about, and comment on, any concerns if she wishes (or if I screwed anything up, which is probable) :)

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Jump on board for an order, pods at least. Free shipping at least if we get over $100 (and I'm at $70). With convos I've had, think it's worth giving them a go. More of us that order, better idea of quality, and their reviews of past few months seem quite positive.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Mark_C can you verified that we can ship to different address with free shipping? I might be interested in something but still doing research on it first.

Now not sure if you guys noticed it or not but I have to say I find the pop-up, in the lower left, of who buying what is a little distracting when I am shopping around on the site.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, here's the reply...

Hi Mark -
To get the free shipping – we would need to ship to one address.
All they need to do is use the combination shipping and indicate in the notes section of the order that this a NJRC order – and I will combine all orders and ship to your address.
Honestly – regarding the Reefs2go animosity – there was a lot of nonsense that went down – we were a badly functioning website due to a lousy ecommerce provider and fighting fires daily. It was horrible!!

So, shipping of $100 must be combined and go to one address.
Or, you can order the (i think) $29 pod/cheato with free shipping and just add to it, which may be the best bet (and you can post a review).

Lets hold off on this for now.
I'm going to try to cancel my original order (as it wont qual for free shipping) and submit a second order that will.
If all looks good, when I host the meet in June or July I'll put together a AD group order in advance to be shipped to my place and distributed at the meet.
And, yes, I'll have the same guy cater it. And, of course there will be copious growlers of real beer.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I dropped a not to the owner requesting a cancellation of current order in view of getting a large group order together for the July meeting. HAven't heard back yet.
I'll drop you a PM if oder is still in works, if not I'll stay in touch with Mrs. Duncan and rev us up for an order for the July meet.

THere's still some details being exchanged, for example, if I order the $30 free ship cheato and pod pack, can I add corals to it with no additional shipping charge?

Would advise hold off orders for now. I'll drop a personal order at some point pre July and post review, then we can run a group order for July meet.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
If you need more I can place an order for $25. Looking to get the blueberry gorgonian and candy apple zoas. Otherwise I can wait.

same here I was looking at a nem or two and some other stuff which would be between $20 and $30. I can wait but if Mark is ready to order I might be willing the pull the trigger