• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquarium Depot (online) (-)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Here is how you can tell them super easy – Please post this:
Want to place your OWN order with AQD?
1. Order & pay BEFORE 9pm EST – on 4.30.2017
2. Put ANY item(s) in cart
3. Select COMBINATION shipping – this will give you a $0.00 shipping option
4. In notes of order – write – NJRC Order
5. Wahlah – we combine & ship everything to Mark on 5.1.2017

Know this doesn't apply to everyone, but for those in central and south Jersey within reach, jump on board if you like. Pick up here or I can drop off depending on day (Saturday between 12 and 4, or Sunday before 3).

Christina seems a good person gaining a bad rep for things beyond her control. Think its worth giving AQD a shot. If it works out I'll set up a group order for the July meet.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Know this doesn't apply to everyone, but for those in central and south Jersey within reach, jump on board if you like. Pick up here or I can drop off depending on day (Saturday between 12 and 4, or Sunday before 3).

Christina seems a good person gaining a bad rep for things beyond her control. Think its worth giving AQD a shot. If it works out I'll set up a group order for the July meet.

Mark I will have to pass this time. The main item I was looking to order is no longer available. I might be nit picking right now but there issues with the website (not all if code issue) that bugs me.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Just bumping this. Following the discussion I am ordering. If you're within 20 mins of Brick I'm happy to deliver if you decided to order, or you're always welcome to stop in for a pick up and have a cold beer (or hot coffee).
Orders need to be placed by tomorrow, choose combined shipping option, and in not e write 'Combine with NJRC order'.
Once I get everything I'll take some shots and post with reviews.

There was just a not so good post on FB including video of their pod shipping practice. Basically a bunch of filter floss in a bag with tiny bit of water that didnt do well. The rest of the comments were not that encouraging either.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Agreed. CMantis, would love the link.
Trio, soz, I had it posted for a bit but the order went fairly quickly.
Christina mailed me and mentioned no other members ordered.
I'll run a full review from unboxing to tank introduction.
If all well, I'll set up a few group orders from a few shops before the meeting.
Been hearing a few good things on AD recently with some digging. Stay tuned for review.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I have gone to their site multiple times and couldn't bring myself to order something. Beside not having something I'm strongly looking for parts of their site bugs me. I know it seems nit picking but it does make me think twice. @Mark_C I am waiting for your reviews cause I do think their pricing is nice but just can't pull the trigger yet.

This popping up on the side bugs me while I'm shopping.
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.27.46 PM.png

I would expect a seller to know that the anemone host the clownfish not the clownfish host the anemone.
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.28.20 PM.png

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
TIgs,

Haven't seen the pop ups, but I do have pop ups off on my machine, maybe thats why.
I've got faith here in Christina and her site as she's sent me some quite detailed info on how she lost R2G and transitioned over to the AD name.
Unsure of her aquarium experience, but she has a supplier business and the base of the business end was pulled out from under her. I can send you a full transcript of our convo if interested. I have NO doubt that she has the best of intentions and just ended up in a quickly deteriorating business deal based on her suppliers.
The deciding factor is going to be this shipment.
They list $100 as minimum order, but, as no one else from site added on, they shipped to me overnight for free, which was very kind.
I'll take shots and vids tomorrow of packaging and items, then follow up once frags are opened.

M

P.S. Also, I see that anem/clownfish hosting thing a lot. I think a lot of folks feel that as the clown feeds the anem the clown is the 'host'. The feeding is apparent, the protection of then anem is not. Its one of those symbiotic things that I think is a gray area. But, I do agree that a shop selling high end items should know the distinction, as they will have folks like us shopping there.
I usually cook dinner and feed my wife, because she can burn the house down making toast, but whenever anyone bigger than me bother me she hits them. So I'm sorta the cooking host and she's sorta the defensive host. Seems muddled.

P.P.S. I'm not a big fan of animated films, but I always remember the line in 'Finding Nemo' which I thought wad genius and VERY reefer specific - 'With friends like these, who needs anemones?'

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
TIgs,

Haven't seen the pop ups, but I do have pop ups off on my machine, maybe thats why.
I've got faith here in Christina and her site as she's sent me some quite detailed info on how she lost R2G and transitioned over to the AD name.
Unsure of her aquarium experience, but she has a supplier business and the base of the business end was pulled out from under her. I can send you a full transcript of our convo if interested. I have NO doubt that she has the best of intentions and just ended up in a quickly deteriorating business deal based on her suppliers.
The deciding factor is going to be this shipment.
They list $100 as minimum order, but, as no one else from site added on, they shipped to me overnight for free, which was very kind.
I'll take shots and vids tomorrow of packaging and items, then follow up once frags are opened.

M

P.S. Also, I see that anem/clownfish hosting thing a lot. I think a lot of folks feel that as the clown feeds the anem the clown is the 'host'. The feeding is apparent, the protection of then anem is not. Its one of those symbiotic things that I think is a gray area. But, I do agree that a shop selling high end items should know the distinction, as they will have folks like us shopping there.
I usually cook dinner and feed my wife, because she can burn the house down making toast, but whenever anyone bigger than me bother me she hits them. So I'm sorta the cooking host and she's sorta the defensive host. Seems muddled.

P.P.S. I'm not a big fan of animated films, but I always remember the line in 'Finding Nemo' which I thought wad genius and VERY reefer specific - 'With friends like these, who needs anemones?'

Mark no need to send the transcript I trust you. Also I know how quickly the Internet can catch fire on false information. It like the whole pamper diaper issue. A couple of years ago Pampers changed their diaper design. Well a hell storm went around claiming the new diapers were giving babies chemicals burns. I followed the story cause at that time we were using those Pampers but our child never got those burns. About a month into the story and all these bad reviews and what not it came out it was all a lie. There was a small group of mothers who didnt like the new designs so they started those lies.

The website things wouldn't prevent me from ordering just bug me a little. It more that they no longer had what I was looking for available. I was going to order a purple corny nem because it was a fair price and would help show how they pack different items but it was no longer available; plus I got one from my LFS for the same price. They also had a nice deal on a frogspawn but that went quickly as well.

I'm now waiting for your review to determine if they are wroth giving a shot.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Excellent packaging.
Overnight delivery.
Livestock looks OK.
But problem I'm not happy with.

I initially placed an order containing a number of items, including 'Candy Apple Zoas'.
I noted with that order that if 'Jungle Juice' zoas became available again (they were out), to please add 5 or so to my order.
Total cost of $63 and change.

Last minute the 'Jungle Juice' became available again. I cancelled previous order (or thought I did it right), and reordered again. This time I left out the 'Candy Apples' and substituted 5 'Jungle Juices'.
Total cost of $73 and change.

What arrived today was both orders.
Apparently the first order didn't cancel.
No one contacted me or questioned me on why I would place 2 almost identical orders (especially as I had already contacted them regarding modifying the order if the 'Jungle Juices' came in).

So, I have way too many pods, twice the snails, some duplicate corals, and the 'Candy Apple' I dropped from the order.
Total cost $137 and change, way more than budgeted for.

Will send them a mail when I get home tonight and see what can be done.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Mark_C if they are not able to make good. Let me know what you have 'extra' of. I might be interest in some and will pay you what they cost but def wait to see what they say.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Well,
certainly cant reship the livestock back, too much for them I would think.
I'll acclimate whats here and see if it survives.
Pods I will dump in cheato area of fuge and when trimmed that should lower the levels in my tank.
Mailed AD tonight, who knows?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
The zoa frags are TINY, tiny enough that I question their survivability.

Example, here's the Jungle Juice, they list at $9.99 per head. They are approximately 1/16th of an inch, or less, across when closed, as are the orange Bambams (also $9.99 per head).
The pointer is a standard pen tip (just under 1/8" diameter).
IMG_5523_zpsrq5qp5jf.jpg

Will post pics, when they open. I'm hoping they look as good as, well, as I hope they will.

Last edited:
Yea see alot of frags are tiny...i had a few frags that came in doa the water was yellow and smelly...but i did get a nice size leather.... pods are great! Livestock is good i only had 1 arrive dead...my candy zoas were doa too

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Example, here's the Jungle Juice, they list at $9.99 per head.

Mark am I miss understanding this but did they charge you ~$50 for that Jungle Juice (9.99 a head and I count 5 heads I believe)? Any-who it sounds like the whole process didn't go smoothly (from canceling order, charging incorrect, and what was sent. Hopefully nothing kicks the bucket on you. Also hopefully they make good on the over charging.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Was a pain trying to cancel the order, I couldn't find any way to do it.
I believe I tried to modify the order to zero out all the items, obviously it didn't succeed.
I truly believe I enclosed a note to AD that I had modified my order to add the Jungle Juice and it superceded my previous order.
With so much else going on (the surgery, scoping out shops, keeping tabs on various orders), perhaps I didn't - I don't know.
I did assume that as I was in touch with Christine so often, that when the order was processed, a double up of the order would have been noticed.

I e-mailed her regarding it...
Hi Christina,
Got the order today. As you mentioned I had added to the order, specifically the 5 Jungle Juice polyps.
I didn’t see the Jungle Juices added to my initial order (40024) the night before shipping, so I cancelled the previous order (or I seemed to), and re-ordered with the Jungle Juices added with the new order number of 40360.
The first order, 40024, which I believed cancelled, came in at $63 and change
The second, new order, 40360, with the Jungle Juices came in at $74 and change.
Today I received both orders under 40024 for a total bill of $137.78
There are far too many pods and snails for my tank, plus I have a double order of Bam Bam orange zoas and an order of Candy Apple Zoas that I had believed cancelled.
I did however, receive the Jungle Juices.

I received this response...
How did you cancel the order? To my knowledge that is not able to be done. We import the orders into a shipping software – so unless an order is manually canceled & refunded and pulled form this third party shipping software it still ships.
YIKES!! This is crazy – can we start with how the cancel occurred please.
Christina

So it appears that all orders are software processed to a third party, and require cancellation by AD, and is not able to be altered by the customer.
I can't be bothered to get into this anymore, going to let it drop. The pods are excellent I have to say. But I'm just going to write off the $70.

As I haven't heard back from AD in past 48 hours, I'm guessing they're past it as well.

So...
Pods with free shipping = good
Pods with free shipping and add ons = questionable (based on size and survivability)
Changing or cancelling an order = bad
Plans for inclusion in a July group order = probably not

And, yes. The Juices were $10 per head. I bought them based off this photo on the site...
Jungle_Juice__99591.1492029327.240.300.jpg

Granted, it doesn't show scale, but everything from Ultimate Corals or H20toGo are at least 2-3x larger.

Here they are opened, each about 1/8", same pen tip pointer (note one head has died, another hasn't opened)...
tGSslb7PXa1-H-44tSzAFMDzwJ0vh_VZl8B8uhUM13k_BiihWRJBjIIWHSuqVNqiSvfdxASLimfBfdQL5qX8nn1eiJXFGVh-X3VPbJipwmIP1r4Ls_o-l5ljEKwxhmLGf1L-RZWQRf0Y5THuvTTSi3k_KcJJJR2jly6DxfT7XR3TC-EISOev7pV7I8ESmf98JsMz4eXLtxq8h8SdqOvqMC9qaSkdW_mWPgzNKaxIi3wBzZEbg11_cVNrj9L3Kvq_o8bJ1v2aYqhsabHi65YPErV4DT3qASKffBVS5uLs1cfi_Nbf0Q572kc-h1L1rLj1l5_k5dysX39DO2NqyEGRI4o6pwYdIxtGh_6Do6WbXLjKrCGCZLMAEzz6gXsrn4k0tmR4u2cuCFgPDwqLpovtrdi61-O9g8ZPm6qgqK_nw9-0qo-eIWKoxm2fQlCiiVdJCznCuNCCBlhPbXGCahSihuAiKHC0R6oRxB7c82998jEWM9WFrpzDGXuMKRBs6CE__MmThbWZYBFSarlychqTkKma1bNshjFqchij4_U6h0GGQPXsDZQQGQ2VFVOu_1uvmj3E55cxhae-EvqQTtKobyCTBncww68rXqaMmtkjwiSlY0qE7-cb=w1155-h1016-no

Last edited: