• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hurricanes and Power Outages – What do you do...

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm sure it was lost when our server guy for our site up and left and we didn't have backups....and that was around June 1, 2011.

Oops! Just went back and looked at the link and it was Aug of 2011....so not when our site went missing. It's also an off-site link.....I'm assuming that site took it down.

I figured that I would add to this thread to remind everyone to be prepared, especially if you have a lot of life in your tanks. I had my pumps on an emergency backup power supply. It lasted for a while, but it ran out before power was restored. Looking back, I should have run it on a on off cycle to stretch its life. I also had 2 air bubblers in the tank with a USB backup source if that ran out. I put them in when the main backup went out to circulate the water. They worked fairly well, but eventually ran out of power as well. I ended up taking out tank water and pouring it back in with a bowl for several minutes each hour. This included getting up every hour at night to pour more in for 5 to 10 minutes. Luckily, I only lost one fish.

The moral - always have a plan and include backup for long periods of time. Your long temp plan does not necessarily need to be connected all the time. If you go away, make sure those who look after your tank know the backup plan. You can always ask people what they think of your ideas here.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I figured that I would add to this thread to remind everyone to be prepared, especially if you have a lot of life in your tanks. I had my pumps on an emergency backup power supply. It lasted for a while, but it ran out before power was restored. Looking back, I should have run it on a on off cycle to stretch its life. I also had 2 air bubblers in the tank with a USB backup source if that ran out. I put them in when the main backup went out to circulate the water. They worked fairly well, but eventually ran out of power as well. I ended up taking out tank water and pouring it back in with a bowl for several minutes each hour. This included getting up every hour at night to pour more in for 5 to 10 minutes. Luckily, I only lost one fish.

The moral - always have a plan and include backup for long periods of time. Your long temp plan does not necessarily need to be connected all the time. If you go away, make sure those who look after your tank know the backup plan. You can always ask people what they think of your ideas here.
How are you doing?