• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back to my first saltwater tank

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well I couldn't go any longer without a tank. I finally was able to convince my wife and my mother to allow me to setup my 36 bow front tank. Now time to really clean the tank, get the stand (and other equipment) from storage. I will need to purchase sand and rocks. Trying to decide on ordering dry rock or getting live rock. Any thoughts?

Also any ideas on live stock? Already been told no brit sea star but a 'normal' star fish be cool lol.

I am thinking corals but first is to get the sand, rocks, and water going.

Please note my mom normally doesn't have the front door open so the sun light shouldn't be an issue IMG_20170320_170908.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
My post about starting my new tank has some good ideas. I would totally look into the real reef Rock and marine pure to get things started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I been reading your build. I like the real reef rock and was just looking at them. They are a little costly but still do-able I think.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
main reason I am think not the canister filter is surface agitation isn't there. I do have my RWs (most likely only use the RW4) to help with that.

NJ tanks are typically the cheapest item in a reef build. hob equipment while varied lead to a lot of issues imho.

Why not take the time to do a real reef. Invest a little more to get greater returns. I'd look into the Scaquariums.com plug and play system. It comes with everything you need except rock. None of the hassle of hob stuff.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
NJ tanks are typically the cheapest item in a reef build. hob equipment while varied lead to a lot of issues imho.

Why not take the time to do a real reef. Invest a little more to get greater returns. I'd look into the Scaquariums.com plug and play system. It comes with everything you need except rock. None of the hassle of hob stuff.

One is space is limited and where I am is temporary. When I get a house I will get my real reef tank back up and running; which has a sump and all.

Second - I already have the 36g tank and most equipment. In fact I already have the canister filter but thinking maybe the hOB skimmer might be something to try

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Live stock that I am thinking about are as follow:

• 2 clown fish
  • 1 or 2 anmen
  • frogspawn
  • touch
  • hammer
  • flame angel (yes I know they are hit or miss with corals, my last one didn't bug any corals)
  • fire shrimp
  • 2 blue/green chromies (maybe)
  • sixline wrasse
  • bag card

Again live stock isn't set in stone but about in the order I would like.....