• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back to my first saltwater tank

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So today I setup my auto doser (which I got for Christmas) cause I have been dosing about the same amount every day. Because this is my first time using an auto doser I set the dose lower (about half) than what I been dosing every day. I will keep testing every day for a little (then go every week)

IMG_20170816_131953.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Hmmm maybe I should take this as a sign. This morning I was thinking of maybe selling my life stock and just breaking my tank down. Lately I have not had the time to work on it nor am I really in a place to take care of it. Just now I am laying in my bed when I hear my mom yell my name and say something is wrong with the tank. I walk out to the living room and can hear popping and smell plastic melting. I turn off my power strips and discover I had water dripping down one of the cables into the power strip (which was now melting). I clean everything up and mounted the good power strip off the floor. I then only plugged in my heater and pump. Need to think long and hard if it might just be a time in my life to break the tank down and wait until I'm in a better place.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
damn!!!!! I know it's too late to say, but always keep outlets off the floor. drip loops are always needed. good thing you got to it in time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
damn!!!!! I know it's too late to say, but always keep outlets off the floor. drip loops are always needed. good thing you got to it in time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I did have both power strips off the floor but I got lazy. The issue happen cause I got lazy lol. awhile back I installed some new equipment and while doing that the power strip felled off the wall and I never put it back. Then yesterday, when I got home from work, I checked my tank and noticed that my filter floss was clog so my in-the-tank filter was overflowing the sides. I checked it and it wasn't running down the power cord, at that time, so I ignore it but in fact I should had at least pulled the filter floss out cause that what lead to the water getting onto the power strip. Lesson of the story, don't get lazy lol.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
so I been sick of looking at my dirty tank. Decided to really tackle it. I took two smaller rocks out which were the worst of the bubble algae. I baked them in acid for over 1 hour and they got nice and clean. They are back in the tank and doing ok so far. Today I took one of my larger rocks out baked it for 1 hours but it did not get as clean so i am going to bake it over night. I also turned my fug light off (cause there no macro algae in there anymore). I also picked up some fluval clearmax, to remove the phosphate, and bio pellets which are now in the fug. Once i get this algae under control then I might look to get my fug up and running again.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So today I took 3 rocks out and baked them. This should be my last round of baking cause I think I got all the bubble algae. I think the clearmax is helping. Still trying to keep ontop of all of this and once I get the tank looking the way I want I will then start worrying about corals.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok been some time since I updated this.

My current live stock compare to my first list:

Live Stock (before)
* 1 Flurry clown
* 1 Condy Nem
* 1 Rose Bubble Tip Nem
* 2 Flower nems
* Hammer
* Green birdnest
* 1 Coral Beauty
* 1 Green/Blue chromie
* Red cap
* a couple of different zoas

Live Stock (now):
* 1 Flurry clown
* 2 flower nems
* Hammer
* 1 coral beauty
* red monit caps
* a couple of different zoas
* 1 yellow clown goby
* 1 sand star
* Satosa
* Red Acro

Equipment(before):
* 1 Kessil 360we connected to a Kessil controller
* 2 Kessil A150 Deep Ocean Blues
* HOB Fuge with a LED light
* In tank filter (which is slowly being phased out)
* UV filter (which I might slowly phase out as well)
* 2 Jabeo RW4s
* My DIY raspberry Pi controller

Equipment(now):
* 1 Kessil 360we connected to a Kessil controller
* 2 Kessil A150 Deep Ocean Blues - (connected to my pi-controller)
* HOB Fuge but no fug just carbon, gfo, bio-pelltes, and heater inside it - (connected to my pi-controller)
* In tank filter (which just runs filter floss) - (connected to my pi-controller)
* 2 Jabeo RW4s
* My DIY raspberry Pi controller
IMG_20171227_114839.jpg IMG_20171127_122528.jpg IMG_20171126_175252.jpg IMG_20171126_175245.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
looking good james...plan on doing some dosing or something?

Not sure. I had my doser hooked up but things with my tank wasn't going well. I turned the doser off and trying to get things under control before I look to dose anything else. I have bubble algae which I am fighting right now

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
the bubble algae you'll just need to manually remove for now....just try not to pop them. Overall i think it looks good

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
the bubble algae you'll just need to manually remove for now....just try not to pop them. Overall i think it looks good
Thanks. Yea I did a big removal last weekend (when I was doing a water change). I have read about popping and some say dont and other say it doesn't matter cause they are sporless. I was also thinking of getting a foxface which seems to help many people but my tank is way to small for a foxface and I don't even think I can temporary house one

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. Yea I did a big removal last weekend (when I was doing a water change). I have read about popping and some say dont and other say it doesn't matter cause they are sporless. I was also thinking of getting a foxface which seems to help many people but my tank is way to small for a foxface and I don't even think I can temporary house one
with your livestock, the fox face may out grow your tank quickly...emerald crabs are pretty good for management but you'd need a platoon for eradication

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Wow been a while since I updated this.

Here a new FTS after finishing a water change. Lights are down low and everything is doing well (beside the two corals I lost ).

I am shocked how welly red cap is doing.

Hopefully my gold hammer gets larger and joins up with my other hammer

IMG_20180324_201132.jpg