• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best Reef Salt

I’m set to purchase an RO/DI unit so I can make and mix my own water. What salt would everyone say is the best mix for a mixed reef setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hooked on AF....though their Alk runs a bit a high for me

Last edited:

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’m set to purchase an RO/DI unit so I can make and mix my own water. What salt would everyone say is the best mix for a mixed reef setup?

I have always use reef crystals

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

It really depends on a lot of things. If you have a medium-high nutrient system, Red Sea coral pro might be great for you. But if you have a ULNS, the high alk will not be something you want. What you should look for when deciding on a salt is the consistency of the parameters when mixed and how close the parameters that it mixes to matches what you want yours to be. For an LPS/softie mixed reef, IO reef crystals would work well and is cheap. The blue bucket of Red Sea would also work. There are many others im excluding though, so look at which one fits what your goal is with your tank best.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Chris,
I've got a perfectly functioning RO/DI buddy I've used on tanks from 10 to 90g. All new filters, though will need some new resin soon.
Its a great unit if you're interested (and I'm in Brick).
Link... I GOT STUFF! don't need. YOU DO! maybe.

As per salt, like T said, depends on tank and preference.
I'm running nanos with mixed corals. I don't dose alk/ca/mg. I do a 20% water change on each tank each week. I use Red Sea Pro. It's a bit expensive, and probably overkill in the softie tanks, but it works quite well for me.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Chris,
As in 'original poster Chris' who's looking to buy an RO/DI unit.
Ignore myrjon, he's going senile (and check out the link in the previous post).