• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bigger skimmer or automatic WC

looking to make a change in my equipment. Wondering which route i should go first. Either upgrading from my bubble magus curve 7 (100g dt with 30g sump) to bubble magus curve b10 or dos for apex with 1 gallon a day water change. Hmmm???

Just be careful not to use an oversized skimmer for your tank size, skimmers take out bad things and also good things out.

I have the Reef Octopus 1000SSS Skimmer and started running it for 6 hours daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
As small as that 1g per day WC is, the question is, will you be disciplined enough to do it?
Know I'd slack off after a week or 2. But, thats me, I'm inherently lazy. Cant even see myself completing this p

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
As small as that 1g per day WC is, the question is, will you be disciplined enough to do it?
Know I'd slack off after a week or 2. But, thats me, I'm inherently lazy. Cant even see myself completing this p

I think he means an automatic water change through an apex.

I’d stick with the smaller skimmer and I’m in the anti water change club so IMO I wouldn’t do either of those proposed changes.

Do you have a fuge? And if so, is there a way you can enlarge it? I think that would be most beneficial as an added thing to a system.

Yes you are right with the WC being through apex..id love to enlarge the fuge but my space is already maxed out. The only reason i can expand storage for the WC resivoir is cause the cabinet matches the stand and my wife is ok with that. I could put another small fuge in there but id have to plumb it and get another pump(in comes my laziness) lol

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
In the case I’d say your best option would be to give me your old BM7 (free of course, you don’t need it anymore) and get a larger skimmer. You might have to feed a bit more to keep a head on it but more food = more growth anyways.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Well as much as your plan is SOLID i think the 7 would have to go to my parents tank first( god knows they dont take care of it) but your next in line!

Awww was worth a try. Do you have a build thread anywhere? I was looking bout couldn’t find one. Would be helpful in recommending upgrades.