• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Centerpiece Fish

Hi everyone, I recently set up another tank and am looking for a centerpiece fish. It is a 4 foot tank and my rockwork is kept to a minimum so that there is a lot of room for my fish to swim and the coral to grow. If you have any suggestions for a fish please let me know. Here are my criteria.
- it must be between 5-8”
- I like the larger body styles like tangs have
- contradictory to my last statement: no tangs please. Most people disagree and say the smaller ones are fine in that size tank but I don’t think so.
- reef safe, or at least for the most part. A little nipping is fine but nothing that will kill my corals (mostly SPS) or majorly effect polyp extension.
Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regal angel, copperband butterfly, onespot foxface

Do you think a foxface is okay in that size tank? I assumed their activity was similar to tangs so I crossed it off my list.

Do you think a foxface is okay in that size tank? I assumed their activity was similar to tangs so I crossed it off my list.

Onespots are better suited for smaller tanks, I have one in my 4’ 90 gallon. Websites recommend a 70+ gallon tank

horseplay

NJRC Member
Very personal question and you will get a lot of answers. To me centerpiece fish is a fish that I will build my whole tank around. If it eats acropora then I will grow acropora for it to eat. I tend to like the rare and difficult species but my interests have changed over the years. How far do you want to go to keep your centerpiece alive and thriving? A few of my current interests that are suitable for a 4’ tank: a trio of multibarred angelfish, trio of venustus angelfish, trio of Pygmy angelfish, Harem of royal grammas. Pair of orange spotted filefish.

Very personal question and you will get a lot of answers. To me centerpiece fish is a fish that I will build my whole tank around. If it eats acropora then I will grow acropora for it to eat. I tend to like the rare and difficult species but my interests have changed over the years. How far do you want to go to keep your centerpiece alive and thriving? A few of my current interests that are suitable for a 4’ tank: a trio of multibarred angelfish, trio of venustus angelfish, trio of Pygmy angelfish, Harem of royal grammas. Pair of orange spotted filefish.

I want a single fish that when you walk by is the first one to draw your attention. A fish that is bigger, has a unique body shape or a very flashy color. I would love something like a purple or even yellow eye kole but I think a four foot tank isn’t fair to them, or any tang for that matter.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
A big old wrasse would look awesome in there and be reef safe. Look at the anampses wrasses. They are bigger but are stunners (lennardi, feminus). Also if you want a bit smaller but awesome, get a pair of flasher wrasses, they are stunning when they flash.