• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Condy Anemone changing colors

So a few months ago I picked up a Condy anemone at petco, when I got it it was all white with a bright purple tip on each one of its arms pretty much text book picture of a condy anemone, when I first got it it was small and didn't seem really healthy I chalked it up to stress and petco not really knowing how to care for and feed their animals. after a few weeks in my tank the anemone started thriving and growing and found a nice spot to settle in my tank. recently the Condy has gotten the most vibrant colors in hues of green and blue, it looks amazing how ever I haven't seen any pictures of condys with similar coloration. I know its healthy but im curious if it is normal for them to change colors because its really a beautiful anemone

what kind of lighting do you have in your tank and how old? It probably is normally the color you see now, but bleached out due to stress at petco. That's just a out of left field guess.

That's what I assume as well, it was just odd that the pictures on the Internet and the one on the ID tag at petco showed it as a mainly white or pale colored anemone but I wouldn't put it past petco to use a picture of a stressed out anemone so they can pass the ones they have as normal and healthy

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I just picked up a purple condy; making a tank of different types of nems. I have not seen that type of coloration before but again I have not seen all of them. Do you have a picture of the nem maybe it was missed labeled at petco?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If you can, cover your power heads with foam or something....the condy's tend to migrate. You'd wanna avoid them getting sucked up into a powerhead or something.

Also they have a very nasty sting so keep an eye on then around corals or other nems

Any one ever herd of a curly sue anemone ? Also herd them called cork screws they have beautiful long flowing tentecals that's are very thin I saw one at petco for 11.49 it was really neat I thought about getting it but I need to do some researchy thinking is with tentacles that long it's a fish catcher similar to a upside down jelly fish