• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cool fish

horseplay

NJRC Member
I was surprised to see an orange-spotted filefish at ACC and took it home after seeing it eating at the store. I have read about this fish for a while and always wanted to try it. After drip acclamated for 2 hours it went into the tank. It immediately went to the few acros I had in the tank and started picking. Then after a few minutes it started investigating the rest of the tank. I fed mysis 30 mins later it ate a few. Good sign. It's mouth is very small it has to break the mysis and suck the smaller pieces in. I think blackworms will be perfect for it if it takes them. Will try that tomorrow.

2006ff2b36bad60cce83efb9240da3e2.jpg
1c40fd86523d2d604968bc3212b50cf5.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Very cool fish Joe! Keep us updated how it does for you.

really neat - i think they are beautiful. was afraid as thought they only ate SPS - but if you weaned it on mysis - that's awesome. What other fish do you have? Mine are so bossy (lol) they'd eat an entire cube of mysis before a filefish even knew what happened...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Awesome fish, I remember reading an article about how people were using old SPS skeletons and basically covering them in the food they wanted the fish to eat and using that to help get them onto frozen. I don't remember the exact technique, I will have to search for it later.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I have a small rock beauty angelfish in the tank so I have to feed a little more to have some food left. However overall very peaceful tank. Tried frozen blackworms no luck. Will give the acro skeleton technique a try. It is skinny but seems to be in good health. Pretty active fish. Swims all over the place. I have a ip webcam. Can't help looking at the tank at work every once a while :)

horseplay

NJRC Member
Some updates. She (I think she is a female) now eats flakes. Her mouth is very small but she seems to have learned how to deal with the larger flakes. When I say larger it is still crashed maybe 1/8". She kind of picking the right sized ones to eat but she attack food quite aggressively. She loves flakes as much as mysis.

She doesn't pick at the acro much anymore. Maybe once the polyps are retracted she found it's not very productive to do it. Maybe in nature there are a lot of extended polyps for them to eat but in the aquarium the few are all retracted. The acros seem to be just fine when the lights are out and full polyp extension as before. She does not pick at anything else in the tank. Now she spent maybe 80% of her time hanging out in the front corner waiting to be fed. So now it is a question of whether she can eat enough, with her very small mouth. I try to feed as much crushed flakes in small portions as possible then feed one or two times mysis a day. Only time will tell.

She sleeps in random places vertically with camouflage colors. Sometime she wedges herself between an acro branch and the glass using her spike, totally motionless except the eyes.

horseplay

NJRC Member
This fish just getting better. I haven't seen it picking at acro anymore but it eats flakes and frozen food. It has put on a lot of weight.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Some updates. She (I think she is a female) ........

Joe, I guess you didn't get the memo. Obama has declared that your God given sex doesn't matter any more. It's how you feel. If you feel feminine, then you may use the lady's facilities, and conversely, if you feel masculine, step right up with the boys. So calling your new addition a "she" is rather moot. It all boils down to how your fish feels that day....so the new term is a shehe....it covers both sexes, and doesn't make one feel out of place. By the way, a very nice shehe you have there. :D

horseplay

NJRC Member
Joe, I guess you didn't get the memo. Obama has declared that your God given sex doesn't matter any more. It's how you feel. If you feel feminine, then you may use the lady's facilities, and conversely, if you feel masculine, step right up with the boys. So calling your new addition a "she" is rather moot. It all boils down to how your fish feels that day....so the new term is a shehe....it covers both sexes, and doesn't make one feel out of place. By the way, a very nice shehe you have there. :D
Haha Paul. She may very well become a he if she feels like it.