• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coral issue

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Came home from vacation and my red cap fell and bleached bad, except for edges. Should I cut thr bleach part or leave it? Also, my frogspawn and hammer have receded.

Attachments

• 20170325_112307.jpg
    20170325_112307.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 20170325_112316.jpg
    20170325_112316.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 20170325_112338.jpg
    20170325_112338.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes alk is low. By you boosting it that will bring down your calcium. I would try to get your alk around 7.5 to 8.5. You will start to see new growth.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The Alk won't stay steady at 8. Thinking of adding it my top off water. As I add about a gallon a day. Just need to figure out how much per gallon.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mark, try kalkwasser......aka, Mrs. Wages pickling lime. One teaspoon per gallon in your ATO water. I last bought this at Wal-Mart.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I was using baking soda mixture. I have an old jar of kalk but not sure if its still good.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I use kalk in my ato, and have since day 1 without any issues. Just make sure that you allow it to settle out in your ato 1st. Also place a small platform (like egg rate or something ) to keep the pump off the bottom where the kalk "gunk" is. What u r looking for is the clear solution

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I Don't have a sump so my top off is manually adding a gallon each day. I have 7 separate gallons of water waiting. This is why I was using baking soda and not kalk.
One day when I get a sump different story.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It's still good....extremely stable. Just realize only a little bit per gallon (1 teaspoon dissolves....more than that, and it gets tough).

Normally I would add it to the gallon and shake it up until dissolved. A few shakes over time; then poor 3/4 out carefully into another container and dispose of the residue.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
you can place the container onto anything that's flat....in your case the center bar should work or a lid on your HOB fuge...no need to really mount anything unless you want to...i had my dripper sitting on my HOB fuge. i then just dripped it into the tank over the course of the day

in the Video at 3:38...the container is just sitting ontop of the AIO's rear chamber