• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dave's Biocube 32

Just getting started!

5b9c9b5bcb9bb230349e84a75f01ad2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Dave! Tank looks great. Fill us in on some details....what size tank/sump/equipment, etc.

The Biocube comes with a built in filtration chamber and built in LED lighting. I'm just using the stock lighting for now but may upgrade in the future. I have done some mods to the filtration. In the second chamber I have two eshopps sponges with floss on top of it and next to the sponges Seachem matrix in a media bag. Next to the pump in the third chamber I have purigen. I brought the biocube skimmer but am having a tough time getting it to collect skimmate. My theory is that it's not sitting at the right height and that I might need to fabricate something to make that happen. I know that skimmer is less than ideal (can't expect much for $20!), but it's the only one that I was able to find that would fit in the first chamber without a lot of fuss. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do about the skimmer, please let me know! Oh, and btw, the tank is 32 gallons.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm assuming the $20 skimmer is one of those wood air-stone skimmers. They will work, but you can't use a small $6 air pump to run them....they work when using a higher pressure/high flow expensive air pump. By the time you buy the air pump along with the $20, you could have purchase something like a Tunze. The issue with a Tunze is that you need to make sure you can fit it into the AIO tank. When I had a JBJ 28, I actually had the skimmer in the corner of the DT.

I'm assuming the $20 skimmer is one of those wood air-stone skimmers. They will work, but you can't use a small $6 air pump to run them....they work when using a higher pressure/high flow expensive air pump. By the time you buy the air pump along with the $20, you could have purchase something like a Tunze. The issue with a Tunze is that you need to make sure you can fit it into the AIO tank. When I had a JBJ 28, I actually had the skimmer in the corner of the DT.

I've read that you can modify the middle chamber to fit the tunze, but then I'd have to get a media basket and rethink my filtration. Ideally, I'd like to put the skimmer in the first chamber. I do appreciate the feedback though!

I'm thinking about adding an in tank refugium. Perhaps just a breeder box that I can put under the pump return, maybe with a small pump - a little diy action. Any thoughts?