• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Docs First Reef come true

So as some of you might already know I upgrade a little while back to a new tank the 40 breeder from my original 10 gallon nano tanks. I Finally got the point were I can actually call it a reef tank and started to add coral to the tank scape with the help and guidance of some awesome members here, it's still got a lot of work to go and I still have a lot to learn but it was suggested that I post some pictures and do updates here so I can track it's progress over the years.20170208_183407.jpgthis is day one new tank new water20170208_183407.jpg 20170208_183407.jpg 20170209_113855.jpg

Attachments

• 20170210_162041.jpg
    20170210_162041.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20170304_175811.jpg
    20170304_175811.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking good Jeremy......a couple comments......

Tank level. Is it the angle of the picture or is that tank not level. The water level on the left appears to be lower that the water level on the right. Even if not level, your overall water level is low enough, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Humu Humu? Is that a Humu Humu I see....in a 40....with corals. Consider re-homing because they get big and they are not reef safe. In addition, they get aggressive. The first thing you'll see disappearing are snails. They need to chomp on hard stuff (corals) to keep their beak (teeth) trimmed.

Last edited:
It's coming together I'm still feeling out placement of things and deciding on were coral will do best and look best that's why I haven't shown a full tank pic with coral in just pictures of how the frags are doing in the tank

Yes guys your correct the trigger fish needs a new home to be honest I hate him and he is the bane of my existence. . Well hate is a strong word but I didn't really want him and I didn't purchase him he sorta got given to me by someone who couldn't keep him my plan was to give him to someone with a bigger tank especially after he killed off the clean up crew like Paul said first things to go where the snails.. then my wifes favorite the coral banded shrimp my son has grown attached too the thing that's why it he has stayed as long as he has I told my son he will eventually need to go live some place he'd be more happier when he gets bigger if you guys know of any one that'll want him when it gets to that point let me know please.. I appreciate the concern but please understand he is not ment to stay he is only a temp resident that's here cause i felt it would be better to save him then let him go some place he might not make it

I your looking to move him and haven't found anyone yet, I have a 70 gallon and dont have the lighting yet to keep corals along with a minimal clean up crew and could keep him until a permanent home is found. Just an option if hes being a pest and you want him out.

I your looking to move him and haven't found anyone yet, I have a 70 gallon and dont have the lighting yet to keep corals along with a minimal clean up crew and could keep him until a permanent home is found. Just an option if hes being a pest and you want him out.
Thanks I'll keep you in mind my first step is getting the son ready to let him go. At the moment he has settled down and is playing nice with the rest of his tank mates but I do want to rehome him cause he limits the real direction I want to go with the tank

Figured I'd add an update on how the tank was doing. Tanks doing well I seriously under estimated evaporation seems like I am topping off the tank with like a gallon and a half a day but over all the water quality in the tank is good. The corals that I added are seriously taking off I've noticed new heads sprouting out of both my trumpet coral colony and hammer coral colony. I've been testing the water chemistry because I've been planning on purchasing a red sea reef color dosing kit and was wondering what others thought about what levels the different elements in the water should be at, calcium magnesium iodide ect... and what you guys feel is worth dosing. I'm really just looking to keep my corals healthy and growing well I must be doing something right with my trumpets and hammers because if they keep up the way they are I'll have some frags to give back to you guys in the future for all the help that has been given to me this far