• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSA 135....

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, as the title suggests, this will be months in the making, but i have the start of it, so why not post it. Tank testing, either will be great, or i'll have a water damage claim for my garage in the next hour. 48"x24"x27". Can is just a size comparison i guess.

Since this will be a long time in the making, heres a joke so you don't feel like you've wasted your time.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll just be running the plumbing kit they sell with it, as long as it's decently quite, noise shouldn't be an issue as it will be an in wall. My next part of the build is cleaning out the "fish room" which is pretty much the laundry room, cutting a hole in the wall and building a stand, none of which i'm looking forward to. Especially the stand part, i don't know why, i've built wood furniture since i can remember, i just don't want to build this stand. I'm guessing that 3 2x4's glued and screwed together on each corner should be enough to handle the weight, or is this overkill?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
This is the design I have always followed. It's nice and simple and holds a ton of weight.
image.jpeg

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So if i'm looking at it right, 2x4's around the bottom, two more on the outsides as legs, one on the side of the legs i'm guessing for sway support, one 2x4 cross beam, and then 2x6's on the top? I'll have to modify it a bit as i plan on using some of the wood in the wall so that i can get the tank flush with the drywall.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
It does show 2x6 on top in that picture, but with a 48" tank 2x4 will be fine. Anything over 48" I would use 2x6

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
After that part is out of the way the next step is finding people willing to help move the tank, lol.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, went to order the plumbing kit and they are out of stock and with the restructuring of DSA, they aren't sure it will ever be back in stock, so I guess I'll be building my own overflow. I guess the upside is it will be cheaper, I can just use the piping and supplies from Home Depot correct? Anything I should stay away from?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, i made some progress today, since the tank will be in the laundry room i had to clear it out. Next step is cutting a hole in the wall and building a stand. Also i am putting a new floor in, that black and white stuff isn't my favorite, and you'll notice in the after picture it was put around those storage unit things.

and here it is after so far, i just picked up the flooring today and i'll be doing it bit by bit, as well as probably some paint on the walls to make it somewhat presentable.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Glad to see some progress! And as for the overflow plumbing, you should easily be able to build it with simple loses/Home Depot plumbing parts.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm debating on using filter socks at this point, but I'll have the option on the sump. Tomorrow I get to scrape up the old floor and start putting in the new one, as well as painting the wall, measuring and marking what I'm going to cut out.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Day two of the fish/office/laundry room redo. Yanked up some floor, did it the manly way, with a hammer and chisel, never mind they make an electric tool for this or that i didn't think about it while at home depot. Managed to clear an area and lay the floor down. Next day i get i'll move everything over and repeat until the room is done. For whatever reason, they insulated the wall between the laundry and the family room, i'm not sure why. They didn't insulate my current office from it so i have no idea on this one, either way i'll be pulling out the insulation and taking down those walls to put up drywall.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
This is the design I have always followed. It's nice and simple and holds a ton of weight.
View attachment 12344

Get rid of the greens. It's overkill. I built to the exact same plan for a 4'x8' and it ended up weighing a ton more than it had to.
You might be able to ditch half the purples as well. Hopefully someone in the know will drop in on this thread, I know there's a carpenter or two or thee but unsure if they've been on lately.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Get rid of the greens. It's overkill. I built to the exact same plan for a 4'x8' and it ended up weighing a ton more than it had to.
You might be able to ditch half the purples as well. Hopefully someone in the know will drop in on this thread, I know there's a carpenter or two or thee but unsure if they've been on lately.
If you're going to use pocket screws you can easily get rid of the green 2x4's if not they are needed to fasten the purple 2x4's toand hold them in place, the purples are what is actually holding the weight.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm also debating at this point on buying a sump/fuge or making my own, I'm feeling like at this point I'm just going to buy one, probably a trigger systems.