• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSA 135....

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, as i'm sitting here battling algae, right now it's getting rid of the hair algae, then back to some more kent tech m to get the strangler bryopsis that is coming back, dosing the algaefix now along with daily hydrogen peroxide doses twice a day, and i'm looking at my sps and i'm seeing covers i've never seen before, they are all coloring up and growing nicely.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, figured I'd give a small update after all this time, hair algae is gone, just in a small battle with bryopsis again, Its a slow battle but I'm winning so far. Added two more bartletts and a melanarus wrasse. Getting close to a full tank of fish.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Another update, the battle continues now with some bryopsis still along with cyano. I think i got a bad batch of gfo as the reactor still has phosphates coming out of it, so i'm trying another method. Dosing nitrates to bring down phosphates and keep the tank happy. Only on day two of this so nothing to report yet, just a pic of the current situation. Besides that i have some coral really starting to take off.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I think you're on the right track. Ditch the GFO. Focus on being down phosphate then reduce nitrate as needed. You have plenty of fish so I wouldn't worry about stripping the tank top clean.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think you're on the right track. Ditch the GFO. Focus on being down phosphate then reduce nitrate as needed. You have plenty of fish so I wouldn't worry about stripping the tank top clean.

Thanks, the amount of fish i have is the reason i'm debating on a larger skimmer, as i plan on adding a few more. I think i have about 13 fish in there currently.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Algae's already there, lol. I spiked it in the last few days to 5ppm, i'm going to let it fall from there and when it gets to zero again i'll be doing half a teaspoon daily. 1tsp of the product raises my tank about 1ppm or so from what i've measured. po4 is currently measuring .04. This was all measured before the lights came on as the cyano usually sucks it up after that.

From recent reading it looks like a mix of vinegar and vodka works better, two sources leads to multiple bacteria types. The mix recommended is around 2 parts vinegar to 1 part vodka

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
all i have right now is cleaning vinegar, not sure if i can use that or not. Nothing added to it, just a higher concentration i think. Heinz all natural cleaning vinegar.

Well normal is around 5% so if you use it just change the ratio to match the strength increase. Will get closer to a 1 to 1 ratio

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll mix it up now then, i'm assuming i would still dose the same amount?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
on a side note, i've noticed my skimmer is picking up a lot more skim mate now that i've added the nitrates.

That's not strong at all, stick to 2 parts vinegar to one part vodka. And you can double Or triple the dose because vinegar is weaker by a lot than vodka.