• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSA 135....

horseplay

NJRC Member
Since you do not have a lot or corals yet If I were you I would take all the rocks out and treat with muriatic acid, much easier and less time consuming. You will have tons of organic material to deal with even if the tech m treatment is successful.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
won't have a lot of corals, but i have a pretty good bioload with the fish i have in there, so that could be dangerous. also, it's on other parts of the tank that don't really come out as well, I was able to take it out in my last tank, this tank seems to be a problem child though, lol.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
well, staying with my 8 bulb for now, still debating on the final layout, but i think this is going to be it.

aqua blue plus
blue plus
actinic
purple plus
coral plus
actinic
blue plus
blue plus

Depending on the final color of the tank, i do like a lighter look, not so much blue, i might remove the coral plus, stick the aqua blue in the middle and put another blue plus where the aqua blue is now. Just trying to make sure it doesn't look washed out. It's as high as i can raise it, so i'll see how it goes.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
so the new bulb combo is
blue plus
blue plus
actinic
purple plus
aqua blue special
actinic
blue plus
blue plus

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Also, the combo of gfo, carbon dosing, manual removal and raising the mag 250ppm with tech m is really putting a large dent in the byropsis. Whatever i can't remove manually is turning white and starting to fall apart.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just two quick updated shots, the first one is the purple torch i have. after putting in the actinic, you can now see a green glow in the base and tentacles. Was not there before, and the tentacles glow green under the actinics. Second is an updated shot of the tank after some aggressive algae removal and treatment.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Automated my water changes to change 3600ml a day, just short of a gallon. Picked up a 42 gallon brute can, put a small powerhead in it to circulate, everything is working great so far. i have my ato shut off at 11, it empties 3600ml between 11 and 12, and between 12 and 1 puts 3600ml of fresh salt water in and the ato comes back on at 1.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Automated my water changes to change 3600ml a day, just short of a gallon. Picked up a 42 gallon brute can, put a small powerhead in it to circulate, everything is working great so far. i have my ato shut off at 11, it empties 3600ml between 11 and 12, and between 12 and 1 puts 3600ml of fresh salt water in and the ato comes back on at 1.

Now question. Why do a water change everyday?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's one gallon a day as opposed to 15 gallons every two weeks. Mainly because automating a water change once every two weeks is beyond my controllers capability, water would have to be pulled from the main tank as opposed to just the sump, along with other issues that i'm sure would come up. with the 42 gallon bin, besides feeding my tank, all i have to do is mix some water once every 40 or so days and the tank runs itself.