• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSA 135....

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have you tried raising it so you can actually control it with the valve.

They recommend 7-8.5 inches for water height, it's in about 7.25 inches. If i found an eggcrate then maybe lift it up a bit more would be an option, but unfortunately i can't take it much higher than that, or it will hit the bottom of the tank. When i take the cup off i have to move it to the side and down, if i have to pull the skimmer i have to turn it sideways and pull the control pipe out first before i can get it out of the sump.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Have you tried adjusting the volute on the pump? I believe it's counterclockwise for more air and clockwise for less. It's also possible when you took the pump apart it didn't go back together in the correct spot.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's adjusted so that it lets in the least amount of air at this point, the pump is also a bit of a beast, the skimmer is only about an inch taller than my reef octo, but pushes out 1800lph air instead of the reef octo at 800 or so lph, so i was expecting more of a break in than i had with the reef octo, but my tank is getting greener so i was hoping for a quicker turn around with it. Right now it looks to be settling in, wet skimming but still skimming. Almost at the two week mark where i was told it usually takes.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It might work, anything is worth trying, i don't really think its the water level though, i think it's the amount of air being pushed up, but i also don't have much experience with skimmers, i've owned one that wasn't nearly this powerful.

Just my 2 cents but I think the skimmer is to big for the tank. U believe you asked a few months back and a few advised it was too large. I am running a super reef octopus that does 540 lph air on a 75 and it is too large to be consistent. You have over 3 times that amount of air. At 540lph this skimmer is rated 100 gallons at heavy load.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Water level is constant, i would think if it was too big for the tank then it just wouldn't build head and the cup would stay empty no? I wanted the increased air to help with my ph problem as the room is sealed and not a lot of fresh air gets in.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I cracked the air valve a hair more open and it seems to have stopped the overflowing for now, too early to tell if it will stay that way.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just my 2 cents but I think the skimmer is to big for the tank. U believe you asked a few months back and a few advised it was too large. I am running a super reef octopus that does 540 lph air on a 75 and it is too large to be consistent. You have over 3 times that amount of air. At 540lph this skimmer is rated 100 gallons at heavy load.

It may be a bit large, BRS says at a heavy load it's rated for 150g, which is about the total water in my setup, but the vertex 180 wasn't going to be enough for me as far as air interaction in the sump, i'm getting a .15 increase in ph just from the skimmer change. There will be more fish going in and my bioload will increase even more, right now i'd say it's medium as far as fish go, but i do heavier feeding. If it comes to it i can restrict the air a bit but i'm hoping not to go that route. I'd imagine you know more than me as i've only been in this for 3 or so years, and this is only my second in sump skimmer, the last two were hob, so i appreciate your input, i'm just a bit stubborn and hoping it works out as it was an expensive buy for me.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, i decided to mess with that air intake adjustment more and the more i open it, the further down the bubbles go away from the cup, so with that knowledge this will be tuned in in a few days. Just wish i knew that would happen a week or two ago, lol.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Also with this skimmer you can adjust the volute on the pump (white round "face") to set the amount of air vs water. Counter clockwise for more air clockwise for more water.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Also with this skimmer you can adjust the volute on the pump (white round "face") to set the amount of air vs water. Counter clockwise for more air clockwise for more water.

Yup, this is what i was talking about with messing with the air intake, still going to take more fine tuning but i think i'll have it in a few days.