• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSA 135....

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Take a look at elite aquatics for a sump. They make a great dump and Their prices are very good.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, day two and three are down, and the floor is in. I now also have an oscillator tool, worked nicely with a scraper attachment to pull up the floor, I got tire of hammering my thumb.

After day 2

After day 3

Now i have to get drywall, i really don't like doing drywall.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking good!

A couple comments/suggestions:

1. Use either paperless drywall or some exterior sheathing....I used exterior oriented strandboard in my laundry room. It can take the abuse of my wife throwing stuff around, while the drywall would have had multiple holes by now.

2. If you use drywall, the piece that is going up against the block wall needs a vinyl J channel. It's dirt-cheap and protects the edge of the drywall for any moisture or condensation in the block.

3. Leave a gap between the drywall and floor. I will typically throw down a couple pieces of scrape drywall to support the sheet going up....a 1/2 gap. This gap will be hidden with the molding.

4. Either purchase, rent, or borrow a drywall gun. It is basically a drill with a modified end that sets the screw to the right depth. I usually don't lend out my tools, but will make the exception here if your interested....I'm in Sayreville.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Appreciate the suggestions, the drywall will be somewhat off the ground as the floor isn't perfectly level, so it will vary probably between 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch, hadn't thought of putting anything between the wall and concrete, i was going to leave a half inch gap there. I have plenty of tools though, I'm just trying to buy a few power tools of my own, my dad has a two car garage and a 30x30 shed full of tools and woodworking equipment, i usually just grab it from him, but trying to build my own stock as well. I appreciate the offer, Sayreville is a nice little hike though, hopefully i'll be able to make it to some meetings next year and meet some more reefers.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, i can't seem to make up my mind now, debating on an 8 bulb ati fixture or 4 hydra 26 hd's. After searching around, the 4 26's will give me better overall coverage than two 52's. But also depending on how i set up the rock work, two 52's may work out just fine. I've got a month or two to figure it out, but stuck on what to go with at this point.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
My vote would go to t5 with reefbrites for some led supplement.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've only ever used led's, so would be new to me, but i like the idea of trying it out, just not sure if i'll like the looks as much as if i went ai leds. I'd also have to figure out a bulb combo, i was thinking something along the lines of 4 blue plus, 1 purple plus, two aquablue specials and one other, maybe a true actinic, coral plus, or another purple or blue? I'm going for less of a blue look, which i think the aqua blue's will provide. But then again i've never touched a t5 setup so i'm in the dark on them.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, someone correct me if i'm wrong here, but i'm guessing this config should be good both for corals and pleasing to my wife's eye as she doesn't like the tank to be drowned out in blue.
ATI bulbs
Aquablue special
Blue +
Blue +
Purple +
Coral +
Blue +
Blue +
Aquablue Special

Arrangement might be slightly different depending on which two sockets are on a separate timer for dusk and dawn, they would both have a blue + bulb in them.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Also, how often would i have to change the bulbs, every 6 months? 12 months?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When I ran T5's, I flipped them out once a year. I'd like that combo...I like blue.......and I think that would be pretty blue. I'll guess 15K blue....again a guess.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the link, I might go with two coral plus and one aquablue special, or maybe just keep it the same, i think it will bring me to about 12k or so on the spectrum. any idea if two coral plus would be better for coral growth instead of two aquablue specials? Also, a few minor goodies came in today. The ATO is actually for my sons tank, i already have one for mine, but thought i'd throw it in the pic anyways. And we can play a game, guess whats in the cylinder in pic number two!

horseplay

NJRC Member
I have an old T5 fixture with 6 bulbs you can give it a try if you like. I like using one purple bulb really bring out the red color in fish. Buy a few more bulbs so you can play with different combos.

I like the blues from these cheap 120W LED fixtures. The whites not so much. You can mount a pair in front pointing to the back if you have an inwall and don't have to worry about how the fixtues look.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the offer there horseplay, i think i'm just going to go for it though and grab my own fixture, if i have to adjust the bulb combo i'll just do it as i go. I've always wanted to give T5 a try, this is just my excuse to do it, lol. On another note, why does everyone live so far away from me? lol, i get a lot of nice offers from everyone, but they are usually an hour or two drive from south jersey.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One last question with T5's, would i have to worry at all about the heat in the tank? I don't currently own a chiller and have no real plans to get one.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Whats the normal height for running these? I'm thinking i can get it a decent height off the tank with the 8 bulb so that reaching into it i won't be banging the fixture every time. I wasn't planning on getting a dimmable one, i'm trying to keep things as simple as possible this time around, two blue + on for an hour additional in the morning and afternoon, the rest on for the time between that, set to a timer on my apex. I'm tired of messing with sunsets and sunrises.

Running height can vary greatly.
I'm running mine about 14" off the surface. I've seen fixtures almost sitting on the rim. When I had my 90g I was around 6".

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Running height can vary greatly.
I'm running mine about 14" off the surface. I've seen fixtures almost sitting on the rim. When I had my 90g I was around 6".

were you running a 6 or 8 bulb on your 90? And what size fixture and tank do you have now?