• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSA 135....

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My next question, didn't think i'd have so many, lol. I've been carbon dosing with vodka in my current setup, should i just keep on going with that or should i try out a biopellet reactor instead?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, i couldn't resist the black friday sale and between that and the credits i already had built up, i managed to get a few goodies for the tank. And jesus i really underestimated what i thought would be the size of the skimmer, it took some coaxing to fit into the chamber, but so far so good. I decided against the vertech return pump at this time, going to go with this waveline until neptune releases their pump.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
yeah, ruby series, would have loved the emerald 39 but they were out of stock and i also saved about $200 going with this instead. Also, thats the 36 series to give you an idea on the size of that skimmer, the sump is 3 feet long and that thing makes it look tiny.

Last edited:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
yeah, ruby series, would have loved the emerald 39 but they were out of stock and i also saved about $200 going with this instead.
That's a good deal! They make nice sumps.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm thinking as soon as i get a day off i'll be going to pick up some drywall and 2x4's. I'm planning on building the stand first but 3.5 inches short front to back (what the 2x4's actually measure), put it up against where it will be going, using the tiles i have left from the floor as shims where needed, marking off the wall and then doing the cutting on the wall after putting in some braces for the 2x4's on the wall that will be cut. After that i'll lay two more 2x4's down in the wall to make it flush with the stand height and i should be good to go, just have to put the trim on the drywall in the living room after that and then drywall up the laundry room/fish room/office/storage.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Went to home depot for the plumbing yesterday, hopefully i'll be picking up the wood sometime within a week to start building the stand.

Just a few more items coming in the mail, and hoping to pick up the rest of what i need from reef about in the coming weeks.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
aaaaaaand i'm an idiot. i got the drain piping correct at 1 inch, got all the fittings correct at 1 inch and 3/4 inch, and then i went and got 1/2 inch pipe for the return, giving myself a pat on the back for that one.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
and a box of rocks from reef cleaners. Always a good experience with them. 50lbs to add to whatever rocks i'm moving from the 90g should be plenty.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Question on the drain into the sump, i should add a pipe that put extends from the sump bulk head to just below the water line of the sump to keep from splashing correct?

Question on the drain into the sump, i should add a pipe that put extends from the sump bulk head to just below the water line of the sump to keep from splashing correct?

I recently added a Reverse Durso where the drain enters the sump on my sons tank. Before adding it I got a lot of splashing and bubbles. After adding, nothing. Water is a calm as can be. I put one in my sump on my main system after that with the same results.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know it's on my old tank now, but my new fixture is in, put it on the old one for now as i just sold the reef breeders on it. Bright and powerful, wife likes it much better.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes they are, the first high end thing I ever bought for the tank, lol. Before that would be the reefbreeders, though they are a middle of the road fixture.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looks great man! I think you're going to be happy with the T5's

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think so too, raising the tank temp a bit though, so I'll see how that goes. .2 higher than it normally is right now. One thing I've noticed, the ph is now spiking upwards since I put the fixture on, it was at 7.96 at 3pm when I put it on, right now at 6pm it's at 8.15

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Alk is taking a nose dive, had to double my dosages already, playing catch up at this point, it's kind of insane how much growth has picked up or so it seems. If my hawkins colors up I will be a happy man.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, Monday i was dosing 30ml a day. Right now my doser is delivering 85ml a day, i need to get this all straightened out before i leave for the weekend, lol.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Be careful with alk....don't want to dose too much, too quick.....you'll get alk burn. The general rule is no more than 1 dKh per day.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm just trying to keep it stable, i've been able to keep it within .8, i was steady at 8.5 until changing the light, dropped to 8.2, upped the dose, checked again 6 hours later, dropped to 7.7, checked it three times to confirm, upped the dose, this morning i'm at 8.1, i'll ride out the day and see how it goes. If it keeps going up i'll level it off at 8.5.