• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DTC Build - Horseplay

horseplay

NJRC Member
Start of the build. 1g pickle jar. I figure since it's a challenge let's go small or go home :)

Heater: 8w marina Betta heater. $10
Temp controller: petzilla PDT-1. $17.
Light: par 38 bulb. $15.

8e50daa83c0683f57adb03a1ff0d7ca5.jpg

horseplay

NJRC Member
So quick update. I put in a Kenya tree and a sunny d poly frag. Both dead after 3 days. I used a little bit of GE silicone, supposed to be safe. Also the Kenya tree was covered in air bubbles at one point. Although after it's dead the bubbles are gone. Not sure what caused the death. Did a 80% water change. Will give it another try.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Joe,
Under the impression that GE silicone needs 24 hours to set but has to cure for at least a week.
I've used it a number of times and always let it cure for 2 weeks before I add water.
Dont know if that was the problem, just dropping in my experience.
Mark

I like the idea for such a small tank! Any update now?
I’m a bit late on this but my experience with GE has been pretty quick. Usually the smell of acetic acid is gone after 2-3 days, then I let it sit with tap water for a few hours or so, then rinse once or twice and fill with what I wanted. I did that for my sump when I made a new one and main tank and never had any problems :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Crap. Sorry Joe. I'm sure the sand was OK. Agreed, most likely the curing time on the silicone.