• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DTC Build - Mark_C

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
SO, THE BUILD BEGINS!

Starting with the container.
Its a 2.5g from Home Goods ($15) with a food grade plastic spigot ($3).

IMG_6162.jpg

I found a small, round, plastic grate piece in my junk box as well as some rigid plastic tubing.
I cut a notch in the tubing to accomodate that nipple pice on the plastic,

IMG_6165.jpg

pieced them together,

IMG_6166.jpg

and then connected them them to the inside of the jar's spigot.

IMG_6167.jpg
IMG_6168.jpg

So, base jar is complete and has a built in water drainer with snail guard.

Last edited:
SO, THE BUILD BEGINS!

Starting with the container.
Its a 2.5g from Home Goods ($15) with a food grade plastic spigot ($3).

View attachment 16981

I found a small, round, plastic grate piece in my junk box as well as some rigid plastic tubing.
I cut a notch in the tubing to accomodate that nipple pice on the plastic,

View attachment 16982

pieced them together,

View attachment 16983

and then connected them them to the inside of the jar's spigot.

View attachment 16984
View attachment 16985

So, base jar is complete and has a built in water drainer with snail guard.

Very good Mark!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Why a snail guard?
The spigot hole is just the right size for a snail to get way into, and get stuck. Don't want to have to disassemble the whole spigot every water change.

And...
I bought a number of really cool items for stands and lighting at HOmegoods, but nothing lived up to expectations, so I'm building my own.
Trying to fully incorporate so the entire unit, pumps, lights, etc is able to be lifted and moved as one piece with minimal wires visible.
Started cutting up some scrap wood last night...

IMG_6316.jpg

Planning a powerstrip and plug for light and bubbler in base.
Going to build another box on the top for the light fixture once I track a suitable socket down.

Geez...ready to make me one. Lol
Looks good. I just filled mine up with a piece of live rock...big mistake on my end. Didnt test it first and discovered 2 leaks on each spigot..but we just got in work that as seen on tv stop leaks tape...idk ill have to see if that works.. i love this vessel the glass pretty clear and the store only had 1 left

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Yeah, I ran a water test on this one for 2 days. Initially it had a slow leak but some hand tighting corrected it.
Saying that, I did order 2 extra spigots from Amazon (food grade, 5 star rated, $6) just in case.
I plan on doing complete water changes every few weeks, so if a spigot leaks it'll be no big deal just to empty the tank and swap it out.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
The decor customization is nice as well.

I'm currently thinking 4 differing themes...
Steampunk with dark steel metallics, lots of copper and brass fittings, an inscription by HG Wells (or such).
Country with weathered wood effects and a Lemonade sign, with 'NOT' chalked over it'
Seaside with weathered blues and greens and nautical theme
Lovecraftian which is my pref atm (see my avatar) with a quote from the Necronomicon ("Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn")
If you're a horror fan and you don't know Lovecraft, be ashamed, he's partially responsible for everything in horror over the past 100 years.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Going to have to withdraw folks.
Had to shift a few tanks around and there is no space for the pico.
Willing to trade the setup for a frag.

I'll still moderate, happily, and I look forward to seeing whats building.
My pest tank (GSP, xenia, kenya) I started last year has grown like nuts and is now my favorite of all my tanks, past and present.
I highly advise a 'pest' tank.

I'll reach out in the forum over the next week for updates.
I'll also arrange the end goal prizing. Maybe we can do a 6 month mid-run prize, or maybe even something a bit more often. Let me work on it.

Aww too bad. I love your set up,wish I had a worthy frag. Can I see your pest tank. I tried Xenia twice...now I have the clove polyp for just a few days and it wont open yet. The Kenya tree..just bad luck I guess