• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Evaporation

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It seems in the new place I have to top off 1 gallon a day, never had to before. The setup is different now with overflow and sump. I have water temp at 82 on heater and so is DT water at 82 temp. I kept the temp a bit high on heater cause of sump. Is this okay or should I drop the heater down a few degrees and will make a difference on evaporation?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks. I dropped the heater to 78, next notch down from where it was. Will wait a few days and see what temp is and adjust again if needed.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I agree drop the temp to give you some flexibility in case of error.

Now about evaporation.

I find that depending on how much your heater needs to kick on affect the evaporation rate. I noticed when I was in my apartment and now at my mom's when the AC is on I am topping off much more than when the windows are open/heat on. If the new spot is cooler than the old spot it might mean the heater is kicking on more.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I agree drop the temp to give you some flexibility in case of error.

Now about evaporation.

I find that depending on how much your heater needs to kick on affect the evaporation rate. I noticed when I was in my apartment and now at my mom's when the AC is on I am topping off much more than when the windows are open/heat on. If the new spot is cooler than the old spot it might mean the heater is kicking on more.

Definitely cooler at the new place and on ceramic tile which is pretty cool at night walking barefoot.

My tank at 77 evaporates about 3/4 a gallon a day. I keep a close eye on my humidity in my house. I have an ERV (co2 control), Whole house Dehumidifier, A/C ETC. When Humidity around 60 percent not as much evaporation 1/2 gallon or so. With A/C or my dehumid on and around 50 percent humidity it evaporates tank like mad. I'm sure your warmer temps are evaporating more. Just for comparison.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Part of the problem was the skimmer, should have realized this first. It skims wet filling collection cup with water. I placed a small dish under the skimmer to raise it and working much better now.

I'm also consuming about 3/4 to a gallon a day on really hot days and is w/ a/c on, this this for a 75 display and 15 sump.

Have a Cobalt 300w heater, setup at 78 in the sump, and my probe wich is is in most distant place of DT also reads 78.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So tank temp was still high 82/84. I pulled heater and realized I was adjusting the temp wrong way,up not down. Heater is set at 72 now.
Sad part even with glasses took a few readings before I realized it.