• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Favia ID

I got this guy as a gift from my aunt today when I walked by it in ACC and said it was really nice. Had no clue she was getting it but when I was checking on my new fish and inverts in the car I saw it and thought the guy at the register accidentally gave me somebody elses coral lol
de6630bdfb0f26976f1f52460c117aaa.jpg

I feel like I've seen it before somewhere but can't think of a name and I'm really curious now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks more like a goniastrea than a favia to me. A very good looking one at that

Well thank you! It is my first LPS and already had its feeding tentacles out tonight so I think its happy with its placement. I've never heard of a goniastrea before but agree it looks more like that

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Well thank you! It is my first LPS and already had its feeding tentacles out tonight so I think its happy with its placement. I've never heard of a goniastrea before but agree it looks more like that

Typically they will have similar needs and placement as favias. Low/moderate light along with low/moderate flow. The sandbed is where I would keep it in my tank or very close to it. You can try to feed it every once in a while with smaller foods like frozen mysis. Turn your pumps off and use a pipet or similar to "squirt" the food towards it. Best of luck with it!!

Typically they will have similar needs and placement as favias. Low/moderate light along with low/moderate flow. The sandbed is where I would keep it in my tank or very close to it. You can try to feed it every once in a while with smaller foods like frozen mysis. Turn your pumps off and use a pipet or similar to "squirt" the food towards it. Best of luck with it!!

Thanks. I tried to squirt some of the supernate formed when defrosting frozen food onto it when I first got it but it didn't have feeding tentacles out at the time. I'm going to only feed my fish for two weeks or so so I can let the tank balance out with new livestock since I increased my bioload by 200%.
Mele_Reef said he thinks the variation is called an Alien Eye and I think he's right, it looks just like mine

Try n feed em when the lights are out, they usually sprout out feeders then.

Yeah, they came out at like 6:30 lol. It's not that often I have corals that want to be fed the day I get them, usually they neee to settle in a few days