• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feedback on skimmers

do you have height limitations? Also- needle wheel or injector type. I think a lot of the new skimmers are massively overrated on tank size.

I use a Simplicity 240DC. Easy to clean, built well, has cup drain. It does microbubble a bit but that's trapped in sump. Produces very well. Doesn't clog air line, its been months and its still clean.
very consistent. 8 out of 10 for silence. Has slight whine that CANT be heard if there is other ambient noise in house. My house is quiet.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I don’t have much experience with skimmers, I used algae turf scrubbers on previous tanks. What I can offer is my experience with my first one. I have a Bubble Magus Curve 7. It’s supporting my 160g dt, with a 45g sump, and about 100lbs of live rock. I have a 2.5 gallon container under the sump that the cup drains into.

I’m really happy with the performance of the skimmer. It’s really good at nutrient removal, and seems to keep up with the tank very well. It runs 24-7, and is very quiet. I’d definitely buy it again. If I could only get it to clean itself it would be perfect.

Dave

I have a small bubble magus in sump. As far as nano skimmer go, it works decent. Most nano skimmer, don’t work very well from my experience, but this works Ok. I don’t know if it’s even worth running a skimmer in a nano.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Look into skimz sm201. I bought it second hand 3 years ago still skims like a champ. Would be a good fit for your tank.