• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding Fish

I was curious about what everyone feeds their fish, and I figured that a lot of other people could also benefit from hearing about other people's experiences feeding their fish.
So, what does everybody feed to their fish? Currently I feed NLS small fish formula as well as PE mysis and sometimes live brine (I know they aren't very nutritional but the fish love to chase them lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feed fresh frozen myisis shrimp, fresh frozen clam, fresh frozen krill, and fresh frozen brine. They are all good drop style and I tend to rotate the types to give my fish a diet with some sorta change the eel and the anemones eat krill I r silver sides

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sometimes I'll make a mix. I'll buy a clam, a shrimp, a piece of salmon (I eat it but cut a small corner off), and a few other bits of seafood, then I'll chop it up fine or drop it in the food processor for a few seconds with some nori/seaweed and some rodi. I'll freeze it in thin sheets and cut of a small pice to thaw and throw in the tank(s).
Lately I've been lazy and am mixing purchased foods up for variety. Each night the tanks get 1 or 2 of these (which I've collected over time):
Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery Diet, Seachem Shrimp Flake, Seachem Marine Plus, Omega One Marine Flakes, and Ocean Nutrition Formula One Pellets.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have always feed Omega One Marine Flakes with garlic during the week. I then feed frozen brine shrimp on Saturday and another frozen food type on Sunday. I tried making my own food and it didn't go well and have not tried again lol.

I just had my mom pick up garlic today since I heard fish love the taste and it is very good for them. You just mash it up to get the juices in a cup of tank water, strain it and then soak the pellets in the garlic water right?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
The food I have already has the garlic in it so I don't know. Now I heard some people say feeding too much garlic shorten their life span but I don't know how true that is.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I just had my mom pick up garlic today since I heard fish love the taste and it is very good for them. You just mash it up to get the juices in a cup of tank water, strain it and then soak the pellets in the garlic water right?

You can buy 100% garlic oil from a number of companies (I use Seachem). Its a lot cheaper and a lot easier than mashing up garlic for oil (and that way you may get garlic pieceds in the tank).
Every few feedings, when I'm thawing some frozen food, I'll thaw it out in some RODI with a bit of garlic oil in it, the food absorbs a bit of the oil. Then I dump the liquid and drop the food in the tank.
Garlic is good for the immune system, and great for getting fish to eat, but shouldn't be used at every feeding. Think of it as a 1x weekly supplement. Of course, this is my opinion.

You can buy 100% garlic oil from a number of companies (I use Seachem). Its a lot cheaper and a lot easier than mashing up garlic for oil (and that way you may get garlic pieceds in the tank).
Every few feedings, when I'm thawing some frozen food, I'll thaw it out in some RODI with a bit of garlic oil in it, the food absorbs a bit of the oil. Then I dump the liquid and drop the food in the tank.
Garlic is good for the immune system, and great for getting fish to eat, but shouldn't be used at every feeding. Think of it as a 1x weekly supplement. Of course, this is my opinion.

Thank you very much for the info! I thought it should be fed about half of the time. It's funny because I feel like I know so much after so many hours of research but I fortunately am self aware of how little I know about reefing in the grand scheme. Always love to learn new information that can help me out

I forgot to mention the garlic flakes I got from NJtiger I like to make sure my tanks diet is mixed unfortunately my fish don't like to eat there veggies so these flakes I toss in a few pinches and they gobble them up occasionally like mark when we buy fresh seafood to cook I'll cut some scraps to feed the tank scallops clamp shrimp fish squid mix with a little garlic and blend up to feed.. I herd this is frowned upon but during a desperate time trying to get a spine puffer to eat I went to the beach and dug up some baby clams live and fresh they did the trick the puffer gobbled them up