• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding tang nori?

How do you guys feed your tangs nori without it going all over the place? I created a little mesh feeder using 1/4" mesh but my melanrus wrasse keeps ripping the nori out of the nettting for fun and nobody eats it...

So my question is what are your methods and any alternative products? (Alternative food or presentation products).

Sincerely,
Steve

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
How do you guys feed your tangs nori without it going all over the place? I created a little mesh feeder using 1/4" mesh but my melanrus wrasse keeps ripping the nori out of the nettting for fun and nobody eats it...

So my question is what are your methods and any alternative products? (Alternative food or presentation products).

Sincerely,
Steve
Try folding it up a few times and then attaching it to the clip. It holds up much better that way

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I take a sheet and break it into small squares (I get about 16 of them). I feed twice a day and seems to help with my two tangs. You can also try two clips.

I fold it up a lot haha the damn wrasse just likes to play with it and shred it
I think you should get rid of that wrasse and give it to me, problem solve, lol.

That is a good question, I have the same problem. I fold it, put it in the clip and then cut it in stripes and anyway it gets all over the place.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Steve Jakubiec this is how I do mine.

I take a full sheet and keep folding it in half until I have about 16 equal size. I find this size doesn't break up as easily. My Yellow Tang goes nuts on the Nori and this size seems to prevent him from ripping it all apart. I tried making theme a little larger but my tangs just ripped them apart. I'm thinking about picking up another clip to feed two at a time.

20160830_065557.jpg
20160830_065857.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here is what I do. I purchase nori from my local oriental market....H-mart in Edison is a great store. I then cut the full sheets into quarters and put into sandwich bags. When I'm ready to feed, I'll take two of these sheets and first fold them in half and cut:

IMG_2361.jpg

I will fold this again in half, and cut again:

IMG_2363.jpg

Clip it into the algae clip….and here is where things change….start cutting the algae ca 1/16 to 1/8 strips all the way across:

IMG_2365.jpg

So when you get done you have 10 to 12 cuts on the algae, making multiple small strips:

IMG_2367.jpg

So now when they attack the algae, they only get a mouth size bit instead of ripping the whole piece of algae off the clip.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Which Nori do you get from H-Mart Paul?

Ed, this was my favorite nori that I use to buy at the East Brunswick Oriental market (on Rt 18). But they redid the store and reduced the selections of nori....and this one was no longer available.

To answer your question, I've tried a couple different varieties at H-Mart, and still haven't found one I like. But I'll keep trying...they have a large selection. The one thing I can tell you is to not bother buying kelp.....the fish don't touch it.