• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Filter setup

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, try to bump up your feeding a bit to see if that helps. What could be happening is that there isn't enough food for the cheato, and die off plus the light could be adding to the cyano.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Or, try to take the reactor off line a bit....maybe run it on a reduced schedule

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
And phosphates....now when I say bump up the food, I don't mean toss in a whole cube of mysis....maybe just feed more often. What I'm getting at, is that there may be a imbalance with your nutrients. With the macro and the reactor, they may be working against each other....and the macrowd may be loosing.

Also, the macro doest need to tumble, It just needs food and a good light

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe consider this....set your reactor on a schedule....this way its not on 24/7 but do keep the carbon going....in a bag maybe. This may work where the macro will be given time to absorb more, grow and begin to do its job. Pull whats dead off and go from there.

Also for now, manually remove the hair algae from your DT....that in its simplest form is also removing nutrients from your system

Is there a such thing as having to clean of a system 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates? I'm just trying to figure out what is an acceptable level of nitrates? I do have hair algae growing in the display and I would like to get rid of it. But I don't want to take all the nutrients from the system that may be needed for other things be cause I can easily take away the chaeto and build a bio-pellet reactor I have all the stuff just need a small pump.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
There is....look up threads on folks that run ULNS. In some cases they utilize bacteria and Carbon dosing or some sort of supplements to keep things balanced. Normally tank shots shown with pristine white sand and clean rocks follow this method to some extent.

Each tank is different so there isn't a "sure way" to doing things. Don't make too drastic of a change as that can also do some harm. If it were me, as an experiment, id keep the macro and run a maybe 8-10hr cycle then ditch the gfo.

That is my nitrates level a few weeks ago, I don't think the pic really does it justice but it's always that dark pink color.
529dc0ecdc2830a5a00eaeaa49ddb2b3.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ok, try to bump up your feeding a bit to see if that helps. What could be happening is that there isn't enough food for the cheato, and die off plus the light could be adding to the cyano.

also with the cheato, you may want to dose iron

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
@Jeffery Kilpatrick , sorry as i seemed to have missed your last response. no you are not being paranoid...but i have never used that kit before so i do not know how accurate it is. It could be the type of food itself that is causing the high nitrates.....but i can't be for certain on that. Could you maybe get an LFS to test your water? Im not saying it is, but it could be a testing error.
I found this link on R2r that i though could be of some interest to you...to follow as you aren't the only one going through this Chaeto problem

@tro91 , that's fine thanks for the info I'm going to stick with my reactor since I eliminated my Phosphates and work on my nitrates I ordered a box of the marine pure bio balls and going to swap the cheap out with them hopefully that will help with nitrate export, from what I read it helps

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
@tro91 , that's fine thanks for the info I'm going to stick with my reactor since I eliminated my Phosphates and work on my nitrates I ordered a box of the marine pure bio balls and going to swap the cheap out with them hopefully that will help with nitrate export, from what I read it helps

Sounds good bud, keep us posted to see how it goes