• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Firefish question

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Guys,
I picked up two fish, 1 purple firefish and 1 dotty back (I think) for my girls' 10g fish only tank. Both fish have been in the tank for about 3 days. Day one both fish hide under the rocks. By day two the dotty back was out and about. Also by day two I noticed both fish eating. I just went to feed them and saw the firefish swimming at the top. To tell the truth I thought he was dead. I feed the fish (dotty back went right to town on the flakes). Just now I went to check on the firefish again and saw him at the top by the heater buy alive. As I stood there longer he darted down to the bottom of the tank.
Now this is my first firefish and was wondering is this normal?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
My fire fish is pretty much a free swimmer. I would say that maybe that dottyback may be harassing him. During the day, my FF is in a nook sleeping, but he's a pretty active tankmate other wise

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Yea I think you guys are correct. Now I did a big no no and the dotty back was a non-research buy. I wanted to pick up two small fish for the girls tank and I knew firefish were good so I figured cause these two were in the same tank at the LFS it would be ok. I'm now reading up on those guys and learning poor choice for my girls tank.

Already moved him to my 54 where my other fish will keep him in line. Might just get another firefish for the girls tank

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Even in the 54, you might find your fish won't swim in half the tank. I had a purple dotty back in a 90g, 2/3rd's of the tank was always empty accept for him and the tang who was the only other one that wouldn't take his crap, the other fish would't go near that side. The cleaner shrimp ventured onto that side once and the dotty back killed it.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Even in the 54, you might find your fish won't swim in half the tank. I had a purple dotty back in a 90g, 2/3rd's of the tank was always empty accept for him and the tang who was the only other one that wouldn't take his crap, the other fish would't go near that side. The cleaner shrimp ventured onto that side once and the dotty back killed it.

Well hopefulyl my other fish can hold their own. The dottyback is currently the smallest fish in that tank. Out of the fish in there I can see maybe three of them getting bossed around by him (my two cards and 1 clown fish) but my others seem to hold their own pretty well with the tomato clown

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
but lesson learn and always read up on a fish before you buy lol I normally do. Even when I'm in the LFS and see a fish I have not read up on I pull out my phone and search but for some reason I didn't with this one