• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

First saltwater tank

IMG_0662.JPG I posted over in plans and ideas thread. Now time for the updates

55 gal tank
60 pounds live aragonite sand
20 pounds Fiji live rock
Finnex 300 watt heater with controller
Finnex 24/7+ Marine 48in led
Modified aqua clear 110. Running half cut sponge, Micron filter both seperared by eggcrate, aqua clear media bag and chemipure blue.

Tank up and running for over a week and half. Just started ghost feeding yesterday because my tank never really went through a dirty phase. Actually didn't really want to ghost feed but seeing where this takes me.

Wednesday I had my first tank reading of ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5ppm. Salinity taking on Saturday 1.025.

Last nite I was excited to see little white bugs on tank glass.

Personally I would like to go with more live rock because of the empty space up top.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Personally I would add more rock as well. Like Marcus said if you are going to add more rock do it because tank will go though a mini cycle.

Your tank might not hit the dirty stage awhile cause beside the ghost feeding there nothing in the tank to make it dirty.

Noticing a bit of brown algae on glass. Been running my light on 24/7 cycle or daylight to moonlight to 4 hours off during the early morning. Can algae grow on sand bed as well? Noticed over the tank development that the sand bed was collecting brown areas over the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
first that is a long light schedule. My lights turn on at 11:00am and off at 9:00pm and that might even be too long lol

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
The point of a CUC is to eat the 'junk' in the tank. Left over fish food and what not. If you want something to eat your pods then pick up a mandarin fish. They will eat your pods but before once the pods are gone they might go hungry if they don't take to fish food. Any reason you looking for something to eat your pods?

Decided to add a cuc. 5 banded trochus snails and 5 nassirius snails. The banded hang on the rock I put them on. They like the underneath section, maybe they have to warm up to the tank. The nassirius snails bury underneath the sand. Amazing though as soon I put a dusting of food to feed the tank they come up from the sand. Fun to watch.

image.jpg I was gonna post in the fish section but couldn't decide. What's everybody's opinion on asterina stars? I found one after I added my frag and fish I believe he was a hitchhiker. I personally like it but unsure if it will go after my coral. Curious what everybody think.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
They'll eat coraline more so than anything else. Initially they're not a problem, but usually if you see one, you have 100 (unless, of course, its a recent hitch hiker).
I had a 90g with a ton of them in there for a year with no concerns (aside from coraline being eaten).
They never bothered my SPS or LPS. I've got a zoa tank going now with a number of them in it, not concerned.
Then again, I slightly overfeed, perhaps they have enough food in my tanks they don't bother corals?
I sorta like looking at them and watching how they move and grow.
If they get out of hand, or start eating coral, you can borrow a harlequin shrimp from someone, or 'rent' one from a shop, which will make short work of them.