• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish Pee Vital to Health of Reefs

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
There are some people who run their skimmers on timers to combat the fact that they are pretty indiscriminate with what they pull out of the water Obviously doing that, you would have to be very diligent on testing to make sure you did not develop a nutrient problem.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Great article! Tagging along with what mike said there seems to be a shift in tank husbandry over the last year maybe more. Many people always pushed keeping your tank as clean as possible in regards to nitrate and phosphate. Now we have people dosing nitrates and actually wanting phosphate. It's very interesting to see the change.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I agree @kschweer and @mnat does seem like people are changing directions. I know when I first started out everyone yelled "MUST HAVE SKIMMER IF YOU HAVE CORALS" now, as you guys stated, people are running skimmless or running their skimmer limited.

If I recall correctly I believe @Paul B is running skimmerless? His tank looks great.