• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flooded my downstair neighbors

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Living in an apartment I did not want to 'install' my RO/DI unit. Each time I need to make water I hook up the unit to my bathroom sink and fill buckets up. Now the adapter I was using doesn't make a tight seal so at times water sprays out the connection point. Normally I can get it tight enough that this doesn't happen.

One day I am making water. About halfway done I heard a knock on my door. I open the door to see the complex maintenance guy at the door. He asked if my toilet was leaking. I said I don't believe so why? He informed me that there was water leaking down into the apartment below me. We both head into the bathroom and see nothing. No water on the floor, no water spraying out the back, toilet not leaking. I told the guy that he could see I am not leaking. We both didn't know where the water could be coming from. I finally decided to open the bathroom stand just to see how it was under there and bam water. Turned out there was a small stream shooting out the back of the adapter and going down the tap (I take it the tap wasn't seal to the counter top) and then going down into the stand and then apartment below. The guy said it was ok but I needed to clean up the water under my sink right away; he was going to handle the apartment below.

I turned off the water and started the clean up. From now on I make my water in the kitchen, where the tap is seal correctly, and I also wrap a plastic bag around the connector so to keep the water inside the sink.

If your going to use a RO/DI system like I am (hooking it up only when you need it) then make sure you get an adapter that doesn't leak. Also make sure your not leaking water anywhere.

About the same thing happened to me. A couple years back I flooded my 5g jug in the kitchen. I finally saw it and cleaned it all up. A day later maintenance came and asked about leaking. The water leaked through the floor into one of those big old fluorescent light units that they put in apartment kitchens. The unit filled with water and crashed to the kitchen floor and shattered. I believe they were supposed to take it out of my security deposit, but luckily they never did. From now on I always leave my kitchen light on to remind me that I am making RO water.