• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag Nepthea

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Looks like I will have to fra g my green nepthe a as It's quite large.
Problem is one stalk has attached to a large rock, see right side of pic.
I cannot get the main rock and this rock out to frag. If I gently pull will it come off? If not what options do I have?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180201_142358_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180201_142358_hdr.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 33

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mark this is a leather coral . Just cut it and put in a container of rubble for it to adhere to ,(can't glue)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I was told they release a milky substance into the water when cut. Guess I should search it more.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They do i had a large leather do this milky discharge. skimmer went nuts .But that was it .I had cut it in the tank as it was attached
to to a large rock..Wonder if forceps would work to minimize milk..

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking that you could cut out a piece of rock that it's attached to this way I can be fragged outside the tank. But now looking at the photo, the piece on the right if moved a bit should peel off the rock. Just a clean cut with shears should do it

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I pull pieces off all the time. Just use your fingernail to gently pry it off the rock. Use a razor to slice the stem if you need to. It wont "bleed" much if you dont rip it.

Razor should do the jobs leathers aren’t to difficult to frag, if you’re concerned with the milky discharge you can runa air line tube and siphon discharge as you cut, but in most cases filtration and carbon should remove most of it, other option water change afterwards

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Not yet.
I don't have rocks to attach the frags to pus tank is diving fast.
If I do frag will bring to a meeting and then people will have to mount it themselves.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
ok, just curious of your experience. The only fragging I’ve done has been to my candy cane coral. And I only took one frag from it.

Dave

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Well, asking here and web surfing seems pretty easy. Pull it out and cut with very sharp scissors or razor blade. Some people dip afterwards and then mount to frag plug/rubble.
All my frags were accodental like most in this hobby. :)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Let me know when you have some to give away, I'll take a frag off of you

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Can confirm that to frag this coral ( and most softies) you can just slice a piece off and let it attach somewhere. I have a piece of leather in my system that I got from a friend who sliced it in front of me. I rubber banded it to a rock in my DT and it’s been doing fine. The wound is finally closing up after ~2 weeks now.

PS I’ll also take a frag if you are just handing them out haha :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk