• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Garf.org

Not a review yet.. But I was wondering if anyone has used them recently.. I placed an order on Thurs. and have yet to get any emails from them.. I sent emails to the two addresses listed, and no return email. I know yesterday was a holiday, so I expect a delay, but other then my confirmation from paypal they haven't reached out to me at all.. Getting a little worried.

I will try to call them tomorrow to see if I can find out what the deal is..

I have heard great things about the grunge, and really want it to be a good as everyone says..

IF / When I get it I will start up a post on the progress and how it works out for my tank over time.

I placed a phone call around 11am and about noon I received a call from Sally Jo. She said the order went out yesterday, so I should have it this week. I'll start a thread about my experience with the product once it arrives with pictures.

I did hear some sad news. For those of you that know him, Leroy passed away. Sally is running the place on her own, and she said that the best way to reach them is via the phone. Very nice lady by the way.

I just wish someone would build them a proper site so that it is a little easier to navigate. :) She admits that she didn't learn coding as much as she should, and is a bit slow with internet related stuff, because if she learned Leroy would have made it her job too.. lol

Anyway, Just wanted to let anyone know who was interested that there has been some contact made, and it put my mind at ease.. if you place an order, it might be best to follow up on the phone if you have questions.

Some pictures of the shipment of grunge from Garf.org. I like the natural look to the sand bed, but not sure how beneficial it actually is.. lots of bugs though.
IMG_6698_zps95e1488f.jpg

IMG_6697_zpsf4c0a5ec.jpg

IMG_6706_zpseac890a1.jpg

IMG_6705_zps14342ccb.jpg

IMG_6703_zps943ac363.jpg

IMG_6699_zpsf47582c3.jpg

they also sent this rock.. looks like I have a small yellow sponge growing on it that isn't visible in the pic. I'm not sure what that coral is on the front of the rock, but it is alive I can see it extending some sort of short hairs at night.
IMG_6702_zpsf1460f86.jpg

after adding the grunge to the tank.. cleared up in about 3 hours.
IMG_6707_zpse0a25aa7.jpg

Cryptic zone!
IMG_6713_zps81cbc31a.jpg

Overall, the service was good. Their communication is a bit lacking as I had to reach out to them to find out anything about my order. They did promptly return my call and the order was shipped next business day.

As to the product itself.. If you like that more course natural look of small pebbles, shells, and coral skeletons in your sand then it's great.. Most of the stuff did have a bit of Coraline algae on it, but not as much as I was expecting. The macro algae wasn't all that impressive. I was expecting larger pieces and a variety of species. I think you would be better getting this from a local reefer.
They also stated on their site that they do NOT have aptasia, and I can tell you I NEVER had an issue with it, but have noticed 3 heads since adding the product. It's not a big deal for me, as my peppermints LOVE it, but some someone not wanting that it could be an issue.

Overall, I like the bugs, and look of the product, and overall it gave me what I was looking for. IF I where to have wanted a pristine tank with a less natural look it would not be a good choice. I do not think I would order live rock, or macro from them again, but pods.. for sure.

Their website leaves much to be desired and really could use a professional make over. I think it would boost their business, and allow people to actually reach some of the valuable information that they do have on there.

The staff is very helpful, and knowledgeable when you call, but internet correspondence is nill.

I hope this helped someone make a decision in either direction.

nice review thanks for writing it.

and yes i always thought their website was horrible. An example of how NOT to run e-commerce.