• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Glass scratched

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I added moonlights to my tank yesterday, thanks mark_c. When the lights went out I noticed that the moonlight showed the front tank has scratches. Most likely from sand caught in magnet cleaner. They are a few inches from top. Is there a way to get them out without taking the whole tank apart?

radiata

NJRC Member
I have some scratches that are only noticeable when algae gets into them. I clean them up with a "magic eraser" which gets into the scratch when a magnet cleaner can't.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
No a!have in the scratch yet, but good to know.
I just hate looking at the blue light scratches.

erics210

NJRC Member
You can drain the tank down on a water change day and use a kit to polish the area. Only word of caution performing scratch removal on a full or partially full tank is if you use a power tool and the glass became too hot it could break. There are you tube videos on doing a partially full tank scratch removal.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
You can drain the tank down on a water change day and use a kit to polish the area. Only word of caution performing scratch removal on a full or partially full tank is if you use a power tool and the glass became too hot it could break. There are you tube videos on doing a partially full tank scratch removal.

Thanks

I would recommend just leaving it. Yea you can polish it, but what does that do to the glass? As someone who has had 3 tanks crack, I wouldn't take a chance at weakening the glass at all.