• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Growth and colors

So now that my tank is doing really good..It still seems like my zoas and shrooms arent spreading or growing..all my test results are good. I tested them and my lfs has tested them too. My shrooms and leather just seem dull unless thats their color.but my main concern is that my zoas who are bout 4 months old havent spred. I dont know why or is it because I have been moving them around to make a pretty aquascape or make certain corals happy. What do you think20170625_114354.jpg 20170624_205831.jpg 20170624_210140.jpg

20170624_205912.jpg and this is under the blue light with a gel filter on the camera..when i look at others shrooms and leathers they seem to be more green on the tips but i dont know if its a different species or if i can add something to make them grow and color up.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Do you feed your corals? That'll help. You can also look into green nepthea leathers for some color. Also some aussie ricordea shrooms for some nice pop

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Tank looks great! Makes me want to go back to the big sizes.
Messing a lot with zoas lately under Leds (Main tank AI Hydra 26HD and small frag tank AI Prime HD).
I just adjusted my lighting last night.
The probs with growth and color are that they hit 2 different ends of the lighting spectrum.
In general zoas will propagate under 10,000k to 12,000k light (full spectrum with heavy whites) and show off under 18,000k to 20,000k (blues and violet).
I met midway yesterday. The AI lights allow you to determine your wattage (should be 2-3 per gallon) and your spectrum.
For my 25g lights on at 7am ramping up to 10,000k at 75 watts by 9am. I keep this level while at work and not looking at tank for zoa growth.
From 5pm to 7pm I ramp down the whites, reds, and greens but leave the blues alone so I have some great color when home.
At 9pm the blues then ramp down to 0 by 10:30pm.
Just started this yesterday, so unsure of effects but I'll start a thread to track any growth or changes.

My tank is only 13 gallons..lol..i have 14k. Im just starting to leave the whites on longer...i always had the blues on longer...but i thought me moving stuff all the time was the issue...also will zoas grow over on an ornament. I have this small cool looking resin treestomp i thought they would look awesome covering it but i dont know if they will take if i glue some on

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
My frag tank is still being built, its a Evo with the 14,000k lights (replacing with the Prime).
I've read that zoas will do well enough on the bottom with the stock light but the f you're looking for growth they need to be about halfway up the tank.
Great scaping btw, I would have bet I was looking at a much larger tank.