• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hair algae

Why does it keep coming. Im trying to leave my tank alone cause im constantly ckeaning it. I know people that never touch their tank. I got rid of the red slime now thats coming back. I stopped feeding all together except for little flake food and once a week a little frozen. I probably need a better test kit since i got API one. But it drives me crazy. 20170808_181351.jpg 20170808_181327.jpg

Well what are you using for phosphate removal? Do you know your phosphate and nitrate level? Algae always means too much phosphate.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Even if your parameters are perfect you will still have some algae. Agree with saltkreep, try and check your nitrates and phosphates. If they are high try and lower them a bit. Maybe feed a little less or upgrade your clean up crew.
I reccomend you pull as much hair algae as you can out by hand. If you kill it in the water the nutrients are released and it comes right back.
You can also look up how to make an algae scrubber! They utilize hair algae as a form of nutrient export and from what I hear they are amazing. I will be making my own in the near future with my sump upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
The food may not be your issue if you're feeding very infrequently.....so I'm leaning towards light

What type of light? What ur schedule? Side note, what your tank temp?

My lights are just the led lights that came with the fluval evo. I usually have the whites on maybe 4 hours and the blues are on for about 8 hours. I keep my temp at 74- 76. I use charcoal, chemi-pure blue and phosguard or purigen i flip flop. But maybe i do need to change them its been a little over a month

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Can you cut your lighting schedule back a bit? Maybe half on the blues? Give that a try n see

Also, what size tank? You have a lot of media running and your tank could be outta wack

13.5...thats what i thought. But i heard you need charcoal...and i like the the chemi-pure..but still wasnt sold on both chemi pure and purigen. Whats the best to use? But now i have the birds nest and another kind, i forget the name right now..but they like alot of light..thats what confusing. I put the light on i get algae..

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It may be the spectrum of the light, and how long you are running them. Manually remove the algae for now, cut back on the lights and lets see where that goes...

As far as the media goes, ru also running a skimmer?

It may be the spectrum of the light, and how long you are running them. Manually remove the algae for now, cut back on the lights and lets see where that goes...

As far as the media goes, ru also running a skimmer?
I run my skimmer on occasion because its a fluval nano. Its such a small cup it gets full quickly. I can never get it to skim dry. I tried messing with the settings but its a pain. 3 hours and i got to empty it