• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hang on / In tank Refugium

I'm toying with the idea of adding a refugium to my aio (it would either be in tank or a hang on)... they sell a couple different models online but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these? Looking to house my mangroves and maybe some other macroalgae. What do you think?

I just got the CPR Aquafuge2 HOB in the Large size. I got it mainly for a little extra water volume for my 46g and to provide a safe haven for copepods. It is very nicely built and would be great for planting mangroves if you have a enough room to hang a light above it. I thought about the Finnex HOB they sell on Amazon and I think one other, but they all seemed cheaply made and just waiting for a spill.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
following cause I was thinking of doing this on my 36g build.

Now note I had some mangroves on my 54g and had them right in the tank. My plan was to have them 'cover' my overflow which my wife thought was ugly (all the coreline algae). They are slow growing plants and mine never really took off before breaking the tank down.

The CPR includes a Rio pump that hangs over into the display tank much like a HOB Skimmer does. It hangs near the top so it doesn't hinder the display much. The return part just flows out of a spout at about the water line. As long as you keep your water level right it makes virtually no sound from the water return or the pump.

When I got mine I didn't get the light with it. I figured I would just get a clip on light from a hardware store. I haven't gotten one yet and kinda regret not getting the LED that comes with it, but at the time I was strapped for cash.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I picked this up from Mike at the Feb meeting. It is very nicely built and no sound from the pump. He threw in a small light with a suction cup which attaches to the outside of fuge. It works very well IMO.