• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Heater discussion

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
As stated in the rules, heaters are an option.

This forum is for discussion involving heater choices.
Why did you choose this heater?
Where did you get it?
Cost?

Reply to this thread with all heater related questions, discussions, and links.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Question...

Instead of having a heater in tank is is a consideration in a tank this small to use one of those reptile pads under it?

I was thinking the same thing petco sells a beta bowl heater that sticks to the bottom of the bowl probably doesn't get hot but will keep the water warm only problem I see is it getting to hot so possibly a temp probe shut off

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
ThATS what I was going to use, my wife has them for her greenhouse

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I could understand using a pad under a tank for reptiles. Rubber spacers are provided for under tank mounting so that the weight of your tank doesn't sit directly on top of the reptile heater mat. I don't think this is a good idea. Are you going to want to dismantle your tank to remove it when it fails? It is just easier to place a submersible in the tank, overflow or sump

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
That's beauty of this build contest.... "to each his own" .....to show off the uniqness of each build. I'd be interested in seeing how it would look.

I also thought about using that same heater but for me, I didn't want to have an extra wire inside this Jar

Not too crazy about the wire to but the heater is pretty small going to hide it behind my rock work

Last edited:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would place a small heater under a rock and hid the wire with some macro algae

One thing to be careful about regarding the heat pads that stick to the bottom of the tank is the glass will some times Crack from the stress of the heating I had that happen to a reptile tank and I didn't know it happened up till I removed the substrate can only imagine what it would been like if there was water in the tank

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Great feedback. An in tank heater it is for me. Fortunately I purchased one from Dr. Tim last month.