• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help id

Take your pick

• Trachyphyllia

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Lobophyllia

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Wellsophyllia

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Was sold as a ultra green logo, could it be a wellso/trach?? Not a bad buy for $24, has some damages but I think it will heal in time. I'll trty to post another pic tomorrow when it not hungry.

Attachments

• 20170504_224115.jpg
    20170504_224115.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Actually wellso is back....they realized they goofed. Still hard to tell the difference without looking at the skeleton. I'll see if I can find the links to the return of the wellso.

EDIT TO ADD:

I can not find the references that I was looking for explaining the change back to Wellsophyllia. I did find a Reefbuilders reference briefly mentioned HERE, but the video directly below the wellso info simply states they are the same??? Here's the actual verbiage:

After much back and forth, it seems that Wellsophyllia radiata is now formally recognized as a distinct genus and species again. The tissues of both Trachyphyllia and Wellsophylliai are very similar, but they can be distingushed based on their shape and skeletal features.

Also looking at WoRMS (World Register of Marine Species), Wellsophyllia is still not accepted.

I'm posting over on R2R to see if the original comment about Wellsophyllia being back can be documented.

Last edited:

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Trachyphyllia geoffroyi, it doesn't swell up like a Welso, and right now looks to be in a bit rough condition so it will swell even less, that's what I'm sticking with

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's the guy I have where I was told it was a Wellsophyllia.

4c2cfcaf-f77c-44f0-95d1-133753808339_zps174e0be9.jpg

Well I'll send a pic of my lobo later when my lights turn on, they look completely different. I will add the the poll later too. It is definitely under stress it looked even worse at the lfs. It is slowly looking better in my tank.