• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help id

Take your pick

• Trachyphyllia

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Lobophyllia

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Wellsophyllia

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Trachy is a wellso, lol, there's trachy welso and trachy geoff, I'm abbreviating because I don't know how to spell it all out

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Trachy is a wellso, lol, there's trachy welso and trachy geoff, I'm abbreviating because I don't know how to spell it all out

As you can tell I know nothing about brain corals. I fix the poll (I think) and got the proper spelling (thanks to Google) for the geoff

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Actually @art13 , here's the history on Wellsophyllia radiata....

> First identified in 1980 as a Wellsophyllia radiata.

> Around 2000, they claimed the Wellsophyllia radiata was actually a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi, and therefore the name Wellsophyllia should not be used.

> In 2014, using detailed skeletal formation, they found that the original identification was correct, and Wellsophyllia was different than Trachyphyllia, and therefore it's own genius/species.

The pole should simply have the genius names.....forget about species:

Lobophyllia
Trachyphyllia
Wellsophyllia

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
ok going with Paul's suggestions because I did see that in my looking up of spelling how there was a different (but again I was just getting spelling and wasn't going to do research into if the site was correct or not)

So I know the green and orange is a lobo, I really think I have a wellso even polyp attention is different when they eat.

Attachments

• 20170505_151259.jpg
    20170505_151259.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20170505_151248.jpg
    20170505_151248.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
I found this it looks the same

Description:The Welsophyllia Brain Coral comes in both a metallic green and a metallic red variation. They have a flat round skeleton, much flatter and rounder than other Open Brain Corals. In the wild they are found on the sand and need to be placed accordingly in the display aquarium. To receive the best amount of lighting, Welsophyllia Brain Corals will swell up and pull themselves out of their hole in the sand. Surprisingly, they will also move around the sand bed quite a bit in this fashion. If placed on rockwork the rocks can damage the tender underside of the coral and may cause it to stress and possibly die.

Care must be taken when placing the coral in the aquarium so that nothing will damage the soft tissue. When placing them in the aquarium place them on the substrate or mid-way in the aquarium where they will receive direct light. Allow ample space between it and other corals, as it will sometimes sting its neighbor. Open Brain Corals can become shocked and potentially bleached (a rapid die-off of the algae in its tissue) after rapid changes in the intensity of its lighting. Always start a new brain coral in the bottom half of the tank and after 2 weeks you may slowly bring the coral up a small distance every week or so.

Most of the coral's nutrients come from the symbiotic algaes that benefit from this lighting, but supplemental feedings are also beneficial. Open Brain Corals will extend long feeder tentacles at night and should be target fed about an hour after the lighting is off. Though they generally prefer moderate to high flow, decrease the flow while feeding to give the coral a chance to feed. Some Trachyphyllia have been known to capture larger meaty foods including small fish and invertebrates

Diet Requirements:Though these corals are mostly photosynthetic, they benefit from the occasional bit of raw table shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp or silverside once a week.

Approximate Purchase Size: Medium: 3" to 4"; Large: 4" to 6"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Pic
97429069941875d7b164e2727e1d0917.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk