• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

House Fire - Tank Help needed

Hello,
I am new to this club but have been an avid saltwater and reefer since I was the ripe age of 12 years old. I am now 45. I took a challenge and call that nobody wants to hear. I fellow reefer had a total fire loss. He had a 155g bow front reef. He is also a police officer. It is going to take a while for them to rebuild. A couple of good volunteers went over there and we were able to pull the live rock out of the tank. All the corals were gone.
I gathered the rock and put it in a fresh batch of saltwater with a couple of power heads to move the water to restart the curing process. This guy loved his tank, you can really hear the passion he had in his voice. The top brace of the tank is cracked and I do not know what the outcome of the tank will be. All of the equipment is contaminated and will probably need replacement. I don't know how to go about asking but if anybody has an old protein skimmer in decent, Calcium reactor, salt water holding tanks, sump, lighting or misc pumps please let me know. The volunteers and I who did the rescue would like to rebuild a tank for him and his family.

Thanks,
Tom

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hi Tom,

You've told us minimal about yourself and nothing of your location or your tank, but were quite specific on requests for equipment.

Before members begin donating any equipment, it would be in good faith to see some photos of the rescue effort, the damage, an article on the incident, etc...
A new member coming in with a first post that pulls at our member's sympathy and requests, equivalently, a full reef setup is suspect.

I speak only for myself in this post but feel that, before potentially hundreds of dollars in equipment is donated from trusting souls, some form of evidence is a reasonable request.

Also...
I work extensively with the Howell, Jackson, and NJ State police. My uncle is a chief in Hudson County and my cousin an officer in the same.
If you'd like to PM me the officers last name and district I can look into it that way.
I can easily verify the info and we can launch an official NJRC 'helpathon'.

Pardon my precautions,
Mark

Last edited:
No worries Mark,
I just didn't know how to go about it or if folks would be interested. I will post some photos when I get the chance. I didn't want to post the guys name or address on here. He is really emotional and stressed out. They lost everything. Perhaps we can set up a donation table at the next meeting? Take a photo of it and tell him it is his if he wants it? If he doesn't they can be returned to their owners. Looking for suggestions to keep it clean and simple.

TL

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
No worries, and welcome to NJRC.
We're always interested in helping those in the hobby and we're often restocking each other post disasters.
Sorry if my doubts are offensive, but we've seen a number of folks who sign up and immediately post for equipment.
(Just got your PM)
Lets see how it works out. I'm sure there's going to be a few months delay with the rebuild and we can easily set up a donation table at a meet when your buddy is prepared.
Have him jump in, sign up, and give us some details.
Same for yourself. A tale of the tank showing your build would be great.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Tom,
First welcome to the club. I'm sorry for your friend's loss and also thank him for his service from me. You will find members of this club will do their best to help others out when they feel its going to the right cause so like @Mark_C said it would be helpful to provide as much information (without the need for personal information) as you can; such as pictures/ area (not address but like Tom River area, Lakewood, Neptune, etc...)

Tom,
Sorry to hear about your friend and please don't take offense but like mark said for a new Comer to join and then immediately post about looking for free equipment what ever the cause raises concerns. With that being said I can say with out a doubt the club is extremely helpful recent I helped a friend out with a tank for his father who is I'll with stage 4 cancer and unfortunately on his way out I posted the project on here asking for help not really even for hand outs
but just what ever people were willing to part with for a reasonable price and with in a week the club members helped me pretty much get the project from just a tank and staND to a equipped and running set up. I can't be more thankful for there help and they were generous but they were also more familiar with me and I gave them full access to the project and it's updates as proof

Sorry to hear about your friend. Where are you located. I maybe able to help.

Question wouldn’t insurance cover purchase new stuff to replace what was lost?

Yup! Homeowner's insurance would cover all physical equipment (tank, sump, skimmer, powerheads, pumps, etc.). This is covered under Section C - Personal Property/Contents. It would not cover livestock.

Home owners would over it if you have enough contents coverage + depreciation. Nobody ever has enough contents coverage and he has to take care of his family needs first. The tank is way last on the priority list of things to replace. We were able to secure a skimmer and sump thus far.
Anyway here are the before and after pictures - He wants a smaller tank next time. 12888.png 12886.jpeg

Home owners would over it if you have enough contents coverage + depreciation. Nobody ever has enough contents coverage and he has to take care of his family needs first. The tank is way last on the priority list of things to replace. We were able to secure a skimmer and sump thus far.
Anyway here are the before and after pictures - He wants a smaller tank next time. View attachment 17345 View attachment 17346

Good to hear he is getting back on his feet! And family should definitely come first! But, if he doesn't have enough contents coverage then he needs a new insurance agent. Contents coverage standard is 70% of the dwelling coverage.