• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Humming Birds have Returned

dnov99 said:
Wow Jim, that is quite a wealth of info on hummingbirds!! We have an orange trumpet plant in our backyard and we get hummingbirds all day during the summer. Its a great, easy to care for plant that the birds are really attracted to. I tried the feeders and never could keep up with the maintenance. The nice part about this plant is it blooms for almost 3 months.

http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Red-Trumpet-Vine-Plants-SALE/dp/B000PXTIC8

My neighbor grows that and I see it growing as a weed...would you believe I've never been able to establish it in my yard? I've tried 3 times!

Another great hummingbird resource is www.hummingbirds.net, lots of info and an annual migration map to track where they are. We don't get them till later though, because we're 1000' up!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’m just wondering if there is something up with this year’s migration. As noted, I saw a hummer on May 25 and haven’t seen one since. I also talked to my Dad in North Carolina today, who usually has ten plus hummers fighting over his feeder, and he hasn’t seen a hummer yet. I believe there is a problem with the migration this year.

Was it unusually cold in Mexico this year? I would also look into the Monarch Butterfly's migration as well since they too winter in Mexico. May shed some light.

I have a few hitting the front and the back feeders, but about half as many as last year. Good thing they made it across the gulf prior to the spill!

All this chatter - but no pics! i would like to see some of these beauties!

off-topic - jrwohler - did you get more whiteclouds for the plant/tank on the deck?

redfishbluefish said:
There is a simply fix for ants….a moat made from a spray can top. If you have the problem, I’ll show you how to simply make the ant moat

Can you make a moat for my house? ::)

Hawkeye said:
All this chatter - but no pics! i would like to see some of these beauties!

off-topic - jrwohler - did you get more whiteclouds for the plant/tank on the deck?

Not yet we were talking about it today. Cannot have the evening temp drop too much....I think I am going to go with the gold barbs that Will has this year.....last year the whiteclouds came inside and my festivum said yummmmm thanks....need bigger fish.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They're back!

HERE's the migration sightings, and they've been seen in south Jersey on March 31st. Get your feeders out. I put mine out today.......1 1/3 cups of sugar made up to four cups with water.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Finally saw my first hummer last night while sitting out on the porch....around dusk. I don't think we have the population we use to have. I noticed no change in the nectar level as I changed it out about every week. Still not noticing any change.

Last edited: